autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear Coat Pitting

Hello - My first post on the forum but passionate about detailing. Have learned a ton from Mike and the detailing experts on this forum.

So here's my issue.
    Working on an old 2001 BMW 540 with Sapphire Black Metallic paint. The car was parked outdoors for 14 years and was used as a daily driver (180K miles). I've been busy rebuilding/restoring the car back to how it was when I picked it up in Munich many years ago.

While compounding/polishing the hood with my Rupes Bigfoot 15 (Starting first with the Blue micro-fiber cutting pad) I noticed thousands of tiny craters in the surface that appear to be environmental damage from years of rain/sun cycles etching the clear, or possibly the clear coat is simply degenerating. I noticed the same problem on the roof, but not on the trunk lid - possibly because the trunk received more attention (and wax) over the life of the vehicle.

So, thought I could remove these with something more aggressive than a Rupes and tried wet-sanded lightly with 2000 grit. I didn't goo too far and decided to stop since I didn't have a paint thickness meter and didn't want to go too far and end up past the point of no return. The surface is now extremely smooth, but the little pinholes are still visible - maybe even more visible because all the other imperfections are gone.

I took a high-res pic to better see the imperfections in the paint. In person it doesn't look like this bad to the naked eye, but wanted to illustrate what was going on.
    (Light/dark transition magnifies issue).

So, here are my questions:
    1. Is this typical Clear Coat pitting from environmental damage?
    2. Can it be removed by more aggressive wet sanding?
    3. Any other suggestions other than repainting?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear Coat Pitting

Yes, I would say that's typical from sitting outside for 14 years. That could be from anything, from acid rain to bird droppings to tree sap to rail/brake dust etc.

I think you've done the best you can and I'd just live with it, more sanding or aggressive compounding is likely to just compromise the paint on a car you seem to be attached to. If you aren't bothered by repainting, then you can certainly go aggressive hoping to fix it and if it backfires, simply fall back on a repaint.

My two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anywhere on the car where the spots are most concentrated? I'm asking because on my car I have those on the front (mainly the hood) and I almost think of them as little "dents" in the paint from debris being thrown up by the cars in front of you.

Just do what I do ... polish the car so well it's too shiny to look at closely

Post Thanks / Like

It is pitting, the car is old and used. I would not chase these, because you will end up chasing right thru the paint. Polish the car to bring back the shine, protect it and be on with it.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback and initial "diagnosis" of "old paint". I might get the hood repainted because there are a lot of chips on the leading edge. Before I do that, I will try to wet sand a small area to see if they are shallow enough to remove - and report back. It is so tempting because they are barely visible and give the impression they could be removed through light sanding/compounding/polishing. But it may be an exercise in futility. Wish I had a paint thickness gauge.

Keep in mind the picture is magnified from a high resolution pic. Thought it would be easier to diagnose.
    The entire hood is evenly covered with zillions of these micro-dots - almost like tiny pinholes and barely visible. But at the right angle they are visible and annoying to see. I'm trying not to mess with it anymore, but not sure I can leave well enough alone. Might need counseling.

Here's another pic, much different lighting, different angle, different section - also very magnified.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, that is just from environmental contaminants sitting on the paint for too long. Tree stuff, bird stuff, pollution stuff, etc.

It's probably too deep to sand out, but if you're going to repaint the hood anyway...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

my 99 black 540 looks exactly like that on the hood and roof, trunk lid mysteriously doesn't have that defect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyeDog View Post
    my 99 black 540 looks exactly like that on the hood and roof, trunk lid mysteriously doesn't have that defect.
    You two must have the trunk force-field option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You two must have the trunk force-field option.
    I wonder if aerodynamics has anything to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Why did your trunk lid get mmore attention and wax? That's and odd selection of a panel to do so.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast