autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New at detailing could use some help.

Hello im newe at detailing with a machine I just bought a PC 2724xp and to start can I just do the correction work on the panels with swirl marks.And just wax the rest of the car or would it look different I plan on using Meg. M205 the a couple thin coats of wax or is there more I need to do im 58 and this is on my 2014 GT 5.0 black premium mustang I need all the help I can get. Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New at detailing could use some help.

You could just do the panels that are swirled, but without seeing the car couldn't tell you if it would look that different then the rest of it would. I would polish the whole car. You can just do a couple panels a night and break the car up over a few weekends.

Mike Phillips

Re: New at detailing could use some help.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman101 View Post

Hello im newe at detailing with a machine I just bought a PC 2724xp and to start can I just do the correction work on the panels with swirl marks.And just wax the rest of the car or would it look different
    Being that you're new to machine polishing and you're learning on a black Mustang it's possible that the panels you machine polish before waxing will look better than the panels you only wash. That's if you dial in your technique and get great results just starting out.

I plan on using Meg. M205 the a couple thin coats of wax or is there more I need to do?
    Here's kind of a normal process,

1. Wash and dry car

2. Inspect paint for above surface bonded contaminants and if discovered remove them. I would suggest doing the Baggie Test after you wash and dry the car. Check out my article here,

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

3. After washing and drying the car, then checking for and if needed removing contaminants, next you want to do some testing to make sure you can make one small area look GREAT before buffing out an entire panel.

See my article here,

How To Do a Test Spot

4. Once you do some buffing with the M205 and your Porter Cable and upon inspecting the results you're liking what you see then proceed to buff out an entire panel and after the M205 seal the paint and/or wax the entire car.

im 58 and this is on my 2014 GT 5.0 black premium mustang I need all the help I can get.

Thank You
    What I recommend to people new to machine polishing is to start out by only tackling one panel your first time.

That is wash and dry the car, inspect the hood for contaminants, remove the contaminants if discovered.

Next Tape-off any plastic trim or other components you don't want to get polish residue onto.

Do some testing on a small section of paint and inspect the results in good light. Perhaps move the car into sunshine and inspect.

Once you're confident that the process you're using, which also includes your technique, then buff out the entire hood and afterwards apply a coat of wax.

From start to finish it will take you about 3 hours to just the hood.

You won't be tired and you'll see the results from your efforts while still having the rest of the day for something else.

Then just duplicate this process till you have the entire car polished and wax or just waxed. Take your time and spread the detail project out over a few days or even a few weeks.

I share this in my how-to book too...