autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post

OK so I read your write up again Mike, and still I know it must have been rush rush to get it all done in four hours.

Did I read this right?, the Optimum Finish Polish removed 85% of those severe defects?
    Good questions, here's me quoting me....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Note I did spend extra time on the hood and it was about 90% scratch and swirl free as this is the major gloss panel on this vehicle as described in the second edition of my how-to book and as recommended in my how-to book you should always pay a little extra attention to the major gloss panels and gloss points because your customer will plus this is the part about over delivering that makes your work look good and even better than the guy down the street.
    So ONLY the hood had about 90% correction but I buffed it really hard one time and then buffed it a second time a lot softer. If you have the second edition of my how-to book check out what I say on page 126 about key panels and gloss points.

I just had a co-worker stop in my office and ask me about how to approach detailing an undercover black Charger Patrol Car and I sent him the link to this thread to read when he gets home.

The Police Officer wants him to clean up the car kind of like the owner of this Tahoe wanted me to clean up the Tahoe.

I told this young man that the patrol car will be ran through a car wash on a regular basis so don't promise to remove all the swirls. In fact, I told him to under promise and over deliver.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic thread ! With a lot of good indications on why a Flex is superior when time is of the essence. Excellent work as well and 4 hours is good going

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PrismDetailing View Post

Fantastic thread ! With a lot of good indications on why a Flex is superior when time is of the essence. Excellent work as well and 4 hours is good going

Kind of like I mentioned somewhere in this thread that I don't really like doing this kind of work and I certainly don't like rushing. I'm pretty confident though at some time the owenr is going to ask me to polish out his 1956 Bel Air and then this project will have been worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do the same thing, some customers want to see if I'm able to fix their DD, then bring me their more precious vehicles.

It has worked out well, usually after doing their baby, people notice and start asking which brings more customers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent article that I am going to subscribe to. Mike once again you lay it out perfectly. It has been said before, that we all want to do the show cars where the budget is not a problem for the owner, but in reality, most people are working and just want a clean car that looks good and will get them to the next wash, be it by hand or by machine (Yuck!).
    In my time before doing mobile washing (I hesitate to say detailing, because we were more production wash oriented) we would do a wash and wax, and I always used a cleaner wax on my DA and every customer was completely satisfied.

HUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Machine applied Optimum Polish using a combination of 5" and 6.5" Hybrid White Polishing Pads on speed setting range of 4-5. Also made a quickie pass over the side glass and then polished the glass clear during wipe-off.

I see a lot of people using using white pad to apply polishes and waxes. I don't see many people using red pads. Why is that so? I was planning on using a red pad to apply 845. Is that too soft of a pad? What are some examples of polishes that would be used with a red pad?
    Ryan

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rouxster View Post

I see a lot of people using using white pad to apply polishes and waxes.
    Be careful as some white pads are "polishing" pads while some white pads, for example the Rupes white pads ore "finishing" pads.

I don't see many people using red pads. Why is that so?
    The big picture is to match the pad to the process. If you're applying a "finishing" wax or sealant, the word finishing implies NO CLEANERS or ability to clean or abrade the surface, then you should be using a very soft finishing pad or waxing pad.

If you're applying a cleaner/wax and trying to do some type of correction, or likewise for a medium cut, fine cut or ultra fine cut polish, then be sure to match your pad softness or aggressiveness to the goal you're trying to reach.

I was planning on using a red pad to apply 845. Is that too soft of a pad?
    No that would be a perfect pad to use with the Collinite #845 assuming the paint is in perfect or polished to like new condition.

The reason you don't see me using red pads is I already have enough blue pads and soft white pad opened and in the garage that I try not to bring out more and more pads or management thinks I'm trying to start my own business.

What are some examples of polishes that would be used with a red pad?
    Any fine cut or ultra fine cut polish...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for taking the time answer my questions. As usual, very useful information. I am very fortunate to have bought a used 2011 Silver Silverado this past October that already had like new paint. So I'm looking to try and keep it like that. Thanks to your posts and articles and the other forum members help, the paint is still in excellent condition.

I really like the Klasse twins, so I'm going to hand apply KAIO and KSG, then top it with 845 using a red CCS constant pressure pad. That should get me through until next fall.
    Ryan

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike for taking the time answer my questions. As usual, very useful information.
    No problemo...

I am very fortunate to have bought a used 2011 Silver Silverado this past October that already had like new paint. So I'm looking to try and keep it like that. Thanks to your posts and articles and the other forum members help, the paint is still in excellent condition.
    Love feedback like this, it tells us we're reaching our goals.

I really like the Klasse twins, so I'm going to hand apply KAIO and KSG, then top it with 845 using a red CCS constant pressure pad. That should get me through until next fall.

That's a tried and true combination that lots of people love.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW 2013 that's was in bad shape!! My 2012 black Charger has very fine scratches on the hood ,roof & trunk ,I never let the dealer touch the car took as is,so it's all my doing ! Glad I read this as I was leaning towards a AIO !

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast