autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1985 Chevy trucks Paint

I have a 85 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado painted black. I am sure its not the original paint. And not sure if it even has a clear coat on it. The paint has a cloudy water spot appearance to it. I just bought a variable speed polisher with assorted pads for it. Also bought Maguires rubbing compound and polish. I have read and watch so many videos on how to bring the gloss back and everyone has a different opinion on how to do this. Anybody in here can give me a start to finish layout on how to do this by steps? I sure appreciate it!THANKS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so first you need to figure out if its single stage or clearcoated.

To do that, use some compound on a towel, and buff by hand. If paint transfers to the towel, then you have single stage, if not it's clearcoated.

Since the color is black, You might need to work the spot more than once, just to make sure you aren't just removing dirt and contamination. After you have found out, we can further assist you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, have you washed and claybarred the vehicle yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1985 Chevy trucks Paint

Here's a link to as much valuable information as you care to read...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Welcome to the forum!!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken tuep View Post
    OK, so first you need to figure out if its single stage or clearcoated.

To do that, use some compound on a towel, and buff by hand. If paint transfers to the towel, then you have single stage, if not it's clearcoated.
    Here's a link showing exactly how to do the above.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...oat-paint.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...at-paints.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-job-done.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-squirrel.html
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks hoytman, I can't put links in from my phone, or don't know how!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken tuep View Post
    Thanks hoytman, I can't put links in from my phone, or don't know how!

No problem. Just trying to help.

OP, there's tons of good information in the links I provided and plenty more can be found here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html. If you take the time read them all, then re-read them again...let it soak in...you'll have no issues moving forward. You may have more questions at that point; just ask away. Lots of good forum members here to help.

If you're a visual learner, then check out this link Show Car Garage How to Videos - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum where there are numerous thread topics to choose from with videos to watch.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by morleybc View Post

I have a 85 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado painted black. I am sure its not the original paint. And not sure if it even has a clear coat on it.
    Bill gave you the link to this article here and it's pretty fast and simple to do...

How to Test for Single Stage or Clear Coat Paint

To test for a colored single stage paint, try to use a white polish and a white applicator or light colored applicator or cloth.

If you're testing white paint then try to use a polish with a color to it and a dark colored cloth. The reason for this is so you can confirm that you're removing white paint and not just seeing the color of the polish or the cloth.

If the cloth and polish are both white it will be hard to see paint pigment.

Use an ample amount for plenty of lubrication as you're going to want to push firmly if no oxidation is present as was the case with the finish on the classic car.

Confirmed, we're working on a single stage paint... also note the heavier accumulation were my fingers pressed down with the most pressure... this is because you can exert more pressure to the small area of your finger tips than you can with your entire hand, you can use this to work for you or cause problems depending upon what you're trying to do...

[quote=morleybc;1038472]

The paint has a cloudy water spot appearance to it.

Here's an article on the different types of water spots with pictures... if the paint is single stage it's possible it has Type III Water Spots that look like this,

Type III Water Spots
    Type III Water Spots are spots that look faded or dull and are found primarily found on single stage paints after a water source lands on and then pools on the paint and is usually left to dwell on the surface for some measure of time before it evaporates or is wiped-off the surface.

Modern clear coat paints tend to be harder and impermeable, that is non-porous, so liquids don't penetrated easily and thus stain spots tend to be topical, that is only affect the very upper surface and are easier and safer to remove with a compound or polish.

Older single stage paints tend to be soft and permeable, or porous, it's common for liquids to penetrate into the paint and stain the paint below the surface. Removing stains out of single stage paints can be risky because in order to remove the stains you have to abrade the paint and if the stains penetrated deep then you risk removing too much in an effort to try to remove them completely.

IF the water spots DON'T look like the above then click the link and look at the other pictures.

3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III

I just bought a variable speed polisher with assorted pads for it.

You're description sounds like you just bought a rotary buffer and chances are very good that while it will undo the damage and neglect in the paint it will also leave holograms in the paint when you're done. This can get into a really ugly discussion involving big egos on how to use a rotary buffer without leaving holograms but the issue is with a rotary buffer you have a pad spinning in only one direction and imparts a scratch pattern that shows up easy to your eyes.

Here's what black paint looks like if you don't know what you're doing with a rotary buffer and sometimes even if you do know what you're doing.

Often times you'll hear or read about "Holograms" or "Buffer Trails". These are both interchangeable terms for Rotary Buffer Swirls.

If you look at the below swirls they almost seem to have a 3D appearance or floating in the paint affect, this is the appearance characteristic from which we get the word hologram.

Here's the same car but now we're using the flash from our camera to light up and reveal the horrendous swirls...

I don't think I've ever seen a car so swirled out by the mis-use of a rotary buffer...

The zillions of swirls in the clear layer makes the paint look hazy and blocks your view of the black paint under the clear top coat. This reduces the darkness of the paint making the true black look gray under florescent lights .

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

Also bought Maguires rubbing compound and polish.
    Meguiar's makes thousands of products, can you be a little more specific? Are these products in maroon colored bottles or in tan bottles with numbers?

I have read and watch so many videos on how to bring the gloss back and everyone has a different opinion on how to do this.
    Correct. There hundreds and thousands of opinions on "how-to" do things detailing related on the Internet.

I promise you, we'll make sure you get great advice and help you fix the paint on your truck right the first time.

Anybody in here can give me a start to finish layout on how to do this by steps? I sure appreciate it!THANKS!!
    Sure can...

I wrote this article and titled it for people that own brand new cars. BUT here's the deal, all the steps are the same for a neglected older car.

It has embedded videos you can watch and it walks you through not only the steps to perform but the ORDER in which to perform them.

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

Welcome to AGO!

Mike Phillips

I have a 85 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado

I have its cousin... a 1987 Chevy Silverado 4x4

Check out how the paint looked BEFORE we buffed it out here...

1987 Chevy 4x4 Monster Truck "Before & After" Pictures

Fair Warning --> This is going to hurt your eyes...