autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washer or not

Post Thanks / Like

Washer or not

I would like a few opinions on the washer mod for the rupes.
    Mike says rupes says no, Kevin says he talked to them and it will not void warranty? Is it needed or not?
    I am very happy with mine stock.
    Just curious

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washer or not

LOL--as Mike Stoops noted in one thread, detailers never stop experimenting, even against recommendations! You're kind of answering your own question--Mike talked to the manufacturer and they recommend against the washer mod, and that's the end of that. Kevin is always pushing the edge of the envelope--according to your "quote" they didn't recommend it to Kevin--they only said it wouldn't void the warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Needed? No

Does it help? IMO yes, more noticeably with MF pads. Speaking from experience with the 15mm version.

You've got nothing to lose to try it for yourself and see how it works for you.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g26er View Post
    Needed? No

Does it help? IMO yes, more noticeably with MF pads. Speaking from experience with the 15mm version.

You've got nothing to lose to try it for yourself and see how it works for you.
    hahaha except his warranty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Kevin says he talked to them and it will not void warranty
    Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post
    hahaha except his warranty
    As confirmed by KB via RUPES directly, it will *not* void warranty. Thanks though...

Mike Phillips

Just so there's no confusion...

I've been detailing as long and in some cases longer than many on here and done my fair share of pushing envelopes.

That said, I'm not a free agent like most people on all the forums, I have responsibilities to showcase the Rupes line of products in accordance with Rupes.

I spoke with Marco D'Inca, the R & D Manager for Rupes and I specifically asked him why Rupes doesn't already offer the tool in this modified version and here is a paraphrase of what he told me...

The Rupes is designed to offer approximately 50% rotation and 50% oscillation and key influence on how this 50/50 operation is achieved is by the shroud behind the backing plate providing a measure of drag to prevent the backing plate and pad from rotating too fast.

He went on to say, with the washer installed you get about 90% rotation and about 10% oscillation and that is not how they designed the tool to work.

I'm pretty sure that's pretty close to what he told me at Mobil Tech Expo when I asked him this question at the Rupes booth. My percentages might be off a little but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

I'm not an engineer nor am I a free agent on discussion forums like most of you. I'm very fortunate to have the very cool job that I have and am very thankful for it. So until I'm told otherwise I'm going to represent the Rupes company according to their wishes.

Mike Phillips

As confirmed by KB via RUPES directly, it will *not* void warranty. Thanks though...

The car detailing world like any industry is very fluid.

What is a norm or standard today could easily change tomorrow. Small companies have the ability to change faster than large companies and in most cases changes are due to improvements to technology or pushed changes to satisfy customer demand.

Keep in mind there are a lot of people that read this forum, including engineers, chemists, CEO's, etc. from a lot of companies.

Forums like this have an impact and that means your feedback and opinions are important. Of course it goes without saying to do your best to keep things professional and always make a good name for yourself, even a good forum nickname...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Forums like this have an impact and that means your feedback and opinions are important. Of course it goes without saying to do your best to keep things professional and always make a good name for yourself, even a good forum nickname...

Did I do/say something wrong?

Mike Phillips

Did I do/say something wrong?

Not at all, I'm just typing big picture for everyone... I"ve been in this forum world a long time and it's a small world.

I only quoted you to highlight that Rupes has weighed in on the topic of warranty and modifications.

It's all good buddy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Not at all, I'm just typing big picture for everyone... I"ve been in this forum world a long time and it's a small world.

I only quoted you to highlight that Rupes has weighed in on the topic of warranty and modifications.

It's all good buddy...

Copy that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast