autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First paint correction! What products? HELP!

Hey Mike and other AG members,

I'm planning on doing a paint correction (removing swirls, polish, then LSP) soon as I just received my new GG DA polisher. Since I am new I am not quite sure which products to use. I want to start with a less abrasive swirl remover since I am not quite sure how deep the swirls are. I consulted the very helpful compound/polish chart from AG and I was considering using the twins (WG TSR 3.0 and Polish). I know a lot of members swear by the m105/m205, but being a beginner, I don't think I want to use that much cutting power. Am I right to start off slowly and use a less abrasive swirl remover and polish? I have consulted many of Mike's helpful videos so I have a very good idea of how to polish using my DA.

In my arsenal, I have the GG DA polisher, 5" backing plate with 5.5" lc hydros (all colors), 3.5" backing plate and 4" lc hydros (all colors). I also picked up the Meg's ultimate compound and ultimate polish as an OTC option, but I am looking for more direction.

The cars that I would be doing this swirl removal on include a 2002 Mustang - dark blue metallic and a 2001 Volvo - silver metallic. I know different manufactures have different clear coats so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you have everything you need to get started! You are correct in wanting to use the least aggresive pad/product to achieve your desired results. Without being able to see the paint its hard to suggest what to start with.

You might try an orange ht pad with ultimate polish and if that isn't removing the defects quickly enough bump up to a cyan ht with ultimate compound. Even if this is your first time machine polishing don't be afraid to use a more aggresive compound to get the job done. It sounds like you have been doing your research into proper technique which is the single most important factor when machine buffing paint.

Good luck!

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First paint correction! What products? HELP!

I can surely say that one universal rule of thumb for paint correction is start with less-abrasive products, and only use more aggressive products as needed. Since both models are 10+ years old, and it's your first go at correcting it, it might be safe to assume that you will need some cutting power. If you do end up using 105, look into the KBM or try spritzing (2 sprays) some baby oil (mineral oil) to your pad to reduce dusting and increase work time of M105. Here's a link to a search with the criteria '105 mineral oil' to satiate any curiosity you might have. Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum - Search Results
    07 Mazda 6i

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, it depends on how much of a correction you have to do. That would determine which products I would use.

If you have minor swirls, halo's, etc, then I would recommend the Pinnacle twins (Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finish Polish). I used them on my black BMW and was very happy with what they did. I used a DA with an orange pad for the ASR and a white pad for the AFP.

If you have deeper scratches, swirls, waterspots, etc, then I might start with M105 or 205. I also had to do some wet sanding on the BMW, so I followed that up with M105, and then moved on to the ASR and AFP. I used a rotary buffer and orange pas for the M105. I thought I would have some pretty good swirls after the 105 and would need the 205 as a next step, but I didn't.

Look in the Show n Shine forum. I posted info and pictures of the detail.
    2003 Ford Lightning #3836
    2011 BMW 335i coupe

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    IMO, it depends on how much of a correction you have to do. That would determine which products I would use.

If you have minor swirls, halo's, etc, then I would recommend the Pinnacle twins (Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finish Polish). I used them on my black BMW and was very happy with what they did. I used a DA with an orange pad for the ASR and a white pad for the AFP.

If you have deeper scratches, swirls, waterspots, etc, then I might start with M105 or 205. I also had to do some wet sanding on the BMW, so I followed that up with M105, and then moved on to the ASR and AFP. I used a rotary buffer and orange pas for the M105. I thought I would have some pretty good swirls after the 105 and would need the 205 as a next step, but I didn't.

Look in the Show n Shine forum. I posted info and pictures of the detail.

Very good advice...

M105 and M205 are very good but to round out your collection add some very good polishes that use DAT instead of SMAT, like...

Wolfgang Twins

And this one...

The Wolfgang Twins

They are different threads... both worthy of clicking on...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I will def add the M105/205 and the wolfgang twins to my arsenal!