autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Please share your advice.

Hi Mike!

I am buying a 2013 BMW M5, black sapphire metallic. Brand new and I want to take the best care of it right from the start.

What are the best steps, polishes, waxes, pads, etc to use from the beginning? Anything else you suggest for a supercar with black paint? Looking for max protection and best appearance.

I have purchased a Porter Cable da polisher and many pads, supplies etc from you in the last year but if I don't have what you suggest I will order it. Just tell me the very best stuff!

Worried about some of the products that require precise application. Don't want to hurt the car if the product is over my head. Considering Opticoat 2.0. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks for your advice, this car is worth going all out.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Re: Mike, Please share your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 05.997AG View Post
    Hi Mike!

I am buying a 2013 BMW M5, black sapphire metallic. Brand new and I want to take the best care of it right from the start.

What are the best steps, polishes, waxes, pads, etc to use from the beginning? Anything else you suggest for a supercar with black paint? Looking for max protection and best appearance.

I have purchased a Porter Cable da polisher and many pads, supplies etc from you in the last year but if I don't have what you suggest I will order it. Just tell me the very best stuff!

Worried about some of the products that require precise application. Don't want to hurt the car if the product is over my head. Considering Opticoat 2.0. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks for your advice, this car is worth going all out.

Thanks!

Hey I'm glad you asked... I wrote an article just for this type of post...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

The above article walks you through all the steps I would do to a brand new car or even a used car that I purchased.

Note the first two steps are the most important and these are to,

1. Wash and dry the vehicle

2. Inspect the paint with your sense of touch and visually in bright, overhead sunlight.
    The reason for this is because it is the results from your inspection that tell you what you need to do...

So lets start out this project with a good wash, dry and inspection....

And to your question, "yes" Opti-Coat II is a very good product that will protect your paint and last a long time.

Quick Google search states suggested retail price is over $100,000.00

If the paint is defect free and has no contaminants that you can feel, if it were mine I would still want to give it a light machine polishing and then seal the paint up with something.

Something = Whatever you like and will apply often enough to maintain a sharp looking black vehicle.

Opti-Coat II would be an option that you don't have to apply often but you still will want and need to wash the car carefully as you can scratch the coating. This means no taking it to car washes for maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wholly hell. Very nice car you are getting. I love that beast. Congrats.

Are you looking for a coating or a traditional wax and seleant?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for the optimal paint care to make a black car look dynamite all the time. So price, time and process be danged - I will do what it takes to do it right.

Thanks Mike! If opticoat protects and makes the paint shine better and longer I plan to do that. Curious, can you wax over the Opticoat for maximum effect?

Thanks for congrats, should be here any day!

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for the optimal paint care to make a black car look dynamite all the time. So price, time and process be danged - I will do what it takes to do it right.

Thanks Mike! If opticoat protects and makes the paint shine better and longer I plan to do that. Curious, can you wax over the Opticoat for maximum effect?

Thanks for congrats, should be here any day!
    Yes you can, but opticoat won't allow it to bond for very long. Chris, who works for optimum, says that waxes shouldn't last more than a month on a car that has been coated with oc (opticoat)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Yes you can, but opticoat won't allow it to bond for very long. Chris, who works for optimum, says that waxes shouldn't last more than a month on a car that has been coated with oc (opticoat)
    Thanks for the info! I think I will put carnuba over the Opti to give it a slick, additional shine and some protection. With the real protection being Opti.

Once a month or so isnt that bad if you are just spreading Carnuba. Smells great too.

Post Thanks / Like

I see this question a lot and it's natural to be more diligent and cautious with a new car or truck but when you think about it your approach should be the same. Whether it's a new car or or old the process and steps of removing surface decontamination is paramount in order to inspect for surface defects are the same.

Since your car is new the steps should be newer as the level of surface defects should be minor or fewer.

Wash - using a quality car wash mix it according to the instructions on the label. To minimize adding additional defects the two bucket system should be employed.

Clay - I'm a firm believer in claying and starting from scratch, no pun intended, claying will remove embedded particles, grime, left over waxes and sealants added by the dealership.

Paint Cleaner - At the very least a good quality paint cleaner should be employed here to ensure the finish is properly prepped if you are to ensure maximum gloss and product durability.

Polish - A fine polish may be needed if finish defects are uncovered and a polish will also improve the surface gloss by slightly abrading it resulting in a spectacular gloss...

Protection - Whether your a proponent of sealants or wax using one or both is extremely important. These products are designed to provide a protective shield. While temporary, sealants and waxes act as a sacrificial barrier against the elements of nature and should be properly maintained to ensure that stunning color and shine...

Optimum Opti-Coat
    is a permanent coating that does a tremendous job at sealing and protecting that freshly polished surface.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I think I will put carnuba over the Opti to give it a slick, additional shine and some protection. With the real protection being Opti.

Once a month or so isnt that bad if you are just spreading Carnuba. Smells great too.

I have OC on my camaro and I love it. I may try some Megs quick wax on it and see if I like it lol
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517