autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Detail trim tape won't come off

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I have a 94 Cadillac deville. The car is in very good condition. It does need detailing so I joined your forum to learn to detail my car correctly. My first order of things to do is the detail "tape" trim. The tape on one side of the car is 90% removed. It was not damaged by the sun and came off pretty good. On the other side of the car the tape seems to be burned on. Whatever I try to use to remove it, I can't remove any of it. What can I use to remove this tape sort of a sander and some 80 grit paper.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail trim tape won't come off

First, Welcome!

I'm no expert, but I'm sure somebody smarter than me will chime in with a good solution. Did you use regular masking tape or a painter's tape, and how long was it left on?

You could try goof off or goo gone, WD-40, or some mineral spirits. Perhaps some alcohol. Do a test spot first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cncwhiz View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I have a 94 Cadillac deville. The car is in very good condition. It does need detailing so I joined your forum to learn to detail my car correctly. My first order of things to do is the detail "tape" trim. The tape on one side of the car is 90% removed. It was not damaged by the sun and came off pretty good. On the other side of the car the tape seems to be burned on. Whatever I try to use to remove it, I can't remove any of it. What can I use to remove this tape sort of a sander and some 80 grit paper.

TIA
    For the love of God keep that 80 grit paper away from your paint/trim

3M makes an adhesive remover that will get that off. You're going to need a lot of patience dealing with this issue. If you choose to use tape again be sure it's a 5 day automotive tape

Keep us posted
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

On the other side of the car the tape seems to be burned on. Whatever I try to use to remove it, I can't remove any of it.

What can I use to remove this tape sort of a sander and some 80 grit paper.

TIA

You need something like what Flash mentioned to dissolve the adhesive WITHOUT at the same time harming the trim or the paint.

Whatever you use, be sure to wear some type of gloves to protect your skin.

You might have to dampen a cloth with adhesive remover and then hold the damp cloth against the tape to keep it wet and saturate it with the chemical otherwise it will simply flash off.

In this thread there's some pictures to give you some ideas... it will likely be a slow process but a good lesson learned...

Tips & Tricks: How to remove dried bug spatter or bug guts

Bug Spatter can actually eat through and remove paint if left on too long...

Tip: Water soften the dried bug guts and splatter with water first.

Trick: Use a towel to hold water in place on a vertical panel.

Here's a tip I posted in 2005, the idea being to use the towel to hold the moisture onto the paint and thus the bug splatter where it can go to work softening and loosening the splatter. A large beach towel works well for this...

This was my Honda Pilot in our garage where I would also wash the garage because it's pretty hard to wash a car in the desert without the dry heat or the wind drying water before you can dry your car.

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

Another variation for headlights and fenders...

Big Picture
    The idea being to use some type of bath towel or microfiber towel or even wash cloth or wet chamois to trap and hold water onto the dried bug splatter in order to soften and re-liquefy it so you can more easily remove it without causing damage to the delicate, scratch-sensitive clear coat finish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for all the prompt replies. The material that I am calling tape is the trip tape that was put on at the factory. I have used goo gone, 3M adhesive remover, wd 40 and I can't get any of it off. I has burned on to the car. I am game to try anything except 60 grit sandpaper.

Post Thanks / Like

So you're trying to remove part of the car??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So you're trying to remove part of the car??

I'm as confused as a blind dog in a meat factory
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Wow thanks for all the prompt replies. The material that I am calling tape is the trip tape that was put on at the factory. I have used goo gone, 3M adhesive remover, wd 40 and I can't get any of it off. I has burned on to the car. I am game to try anything except 60 grit sandpaper.

Have you tried hair blow dryer? Heat it up and peel it very s-l-o-w-l-y...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that I am not using the correct descriptions. Instead of a metal trip piece held on with metal clips, The used striping tape to define the body line.Wow you guys are great on this forum. I am on some other forums and I am lucky if I get a reply on the same day. You all make a newbie feel welcomed.

Mike Phillips

I guess that I am not using the correct descriptions. Instead of a metal trip piece held on with metal clips, The used striping tape to define the body line.Wow you guys are great on this forum. I am on some other forums and I am lucky if I get a reply on the same day. You all make a newbie feel welcomed.

Can you take a picture and insert it or attach it?

Even a cruddy cell phone picture would help...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast