autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Werid spot in paint

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
    Wet the area. Does it go away? If so I would add some clear from a spray can and wet sand it smooth. If it doesn't change when wetted than I would say that the base coat is at fault.

Don
    Thanks for the advice Don. I will try it out tomorrow and post back the results.

Post Thanks / Like

do not use spray can clear unless it is a 2 part one.

also use wax and grease remover and tack down the surface. you could scuff up the surface with some 3k wetsandpaper for better adhesion...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by qaz393 View Post
    do not use spray can clear unless it is a 2 part one.

also use wax and grease remover and tack down the surface. you could scuff up the surface with some 3k wetsandpaper for better adhesion...
    Oh no worries, I wouldn't bother doing that myself. If I do the wet test and decide it is in fact clear that is missing then Ill just drive it over to the body shop and get them to throw some on for free. Thanks though!

Post Thanks / Like

Its a porche. Just have it repainted the right way instead using crapy spray can clear. Your asking for really bad orange peal and runs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agfan View Post
    Its a porche. Just have it repainted the right way instead using crapy spray can clear. Your asking for really bad orange peal and runs.
    Not to mention failure of the clear in the months to come. If that car is to be sold, I would have it fixed the right way or let the flaw be seen by potential buyers. Masking it in some way so it cannot be seen is a little shady in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had pretty good results with spray cans. Do it right and it looks as good as factory paint. Light coats and wet sanding afterwards. My brother in law has also painted an entire car with spray cans. Took a lot of work to get it right but it looks as good as a quality respray. And it is holding up very well. The only drawback to spray cans is the finished product will almost always be quite soft. So swirling and scratches are an issue.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
    I have had pretty good results with spray cans. Do it right and it looks as good as factory paint. Light coats and wet sanding afterwards. My brother in law has also painted an entire car with spray cans. Took a lot of work to get it right but it looks as good as a quality respray. And it is holding up very well. The only drawback to spray cans is the finished product will almost always be quite soft. So swirling and scratches are an issue.

Don
    there are 2k rattle can clear and primer. these have hardeners......

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

looks to me like whomever "butchered" it with a rotary heated up the paint to much which caused the metallics in the base to disorientate, which isn't because of burning through but actually heating the paint too much.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93sierra View Post
    looks to me like whomever "butchered" it with a rotary heated up the paint to much which caused the metallics in the base to disorientate, which isn't because of burning through but actually heating the paint too much.
    i would like to say im wrong here, i believe i was thinking of something else while i wrote that haha, i saw this once before on a new jetta from the factory and i had to repaint the panel at my work under warranty. i didnt know what had caused it because nothing was wrong with the clear and in this instance it was oval shaped.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123