autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultimate Polish and M205 Problems

Quote Originally Posted by rock012345 View Post
    how could adding more product cause it to dry faster? if anything, wouldn't it cause longer buffing time and more lubricating agents? how is it dry buffing with MORE product?
    I'm with you on this one...Sounds unbelievable to me also!

But this is how it was explained to me a long time ago (not saying it's true, or not so true):

-Mild/Fine abrasive polishes won't stand a lot of heat...
    -The actual combined weight of the machine, pad, and product will be factors, in calculating the friction-quotient, as these elements are then placed upon vehicle panels.
    -This doesn't even take into account the weight of a person's hand(s). Or,
    -The downward pressures (gravity, force).

Anyway....
    -Friction is a by-product of one object 'rubbing' against another.
    -Weights of the objects being "rubbed" are factors in determining friction-quotients
    -Friction equals heat. Heat causes "dry conditions". Dry conditions causes drying-out.
    -Less product=less weight.

[Hope someone can better and further explain this phenomenon.
    "It just seems to be true under certain empirical testing methods", sometimes isn't enough facts-based to go on, IMO.]

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 03-03-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I'm with you on this one...Sounds unbelievable to me also!

But this is how it was explained to me a long time ago (not saying it's true, or not so true):

-Mild/Fine abrasive polishes won't stand a lot of heat...
    -The actual combined weight of the machine, pad, and product will be factors, in calculating the friction-quotient, as these elements are then placed upon vehicle panels.
    -This doesn't even take into account the weight of a person's hand(s). Or,
    -The downward pressures (gravity, force).

Anyway....
    -Friction is a by-product of one object 'rubbing' against another.
    -Weights of the objects being "rubbed" are factors in determining friction-quotients
    -Friction equals heat. Heat causes "dry conditions". Dry conditions causes drying-out.
    -Less product=less weight.

[Hope someone can better and further explain this phenomenon.
    "It just seems to be true under certain empirical testing methods", sometimes isn't enough facts-based to go on, IMO.]

Bob
    thanks Bob, that makes sense whether it is factual or not, learn something new everyday, glad AG has someone like you to spread the knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info and the help fellas

Post Thanks / Like

You had 15% humidity. Any localized heating means the air humidity at the air/liquid interface is going to drop below that 15% so it's going to be even hungrier for moisture. In addition to a little bit of convection, the rotating action of the pad means that the frequency of fluid to air collisions is going to go way up, so more water moves from product to very dry, moving air. You in the shade so the major factor at work are relative humidity, temperature, and pad rotation speed. You're going to need a lot more moisture in the air to keep the water in the product for any appreciable amount of time.

M205 is indeed water based, right? Get a spray bottle of distilled water and keep it handy. If the stuff is drying out before you want it too, give it a few spritzes of H2O until the consistency is back where you expect it to be. Problem solved.

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rix6 View Post
    You had 15% humidity. Any localized heating means the air humidity at the air/liquid interface is going to drop below that 15% so it's going to be even hungrier for moisture. In addition to a little bit of convection, the rotating action of the pad means that the frequency of fluid to air collisions is going to go way up, so more water moves from product to very dry, moving air. You in the shade so the major factor at work are relative humidity, temperature, and pad rotation speed. You're going to need a lot more moisture in the air to keep the water in the product for any appreciable amount of time.

M205 is indeed water based, right? Get a spray bottle of distilled water and keep it handy. If the stuff is drying out before you want it too, give it a few spritzes of H2O until the consistency is back where you expect it to be. Problem solved.

-Rick

Thanks for your very informative post, Rick.
    (Kinda like what I was getting at earlier but not as clearly stated.)

If I may inquire:
    -Would you also agree that using too much product is not always conducive to the polishing processes?
    Thanks in advance for any input you may offer on this subject matter.

-panels'/area's temp
    -humidity [relative and absolute(dew point)]
    -ambient temp
    EDIT: Low humidity, coupled with medium temps is not always a good thing....Less moisture in the 'air'...if you get my drift.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Well it was for sure to much product. I backed off to just an ample amount to get the sections done and found out that I had twice as much work time than using Ultimate Compound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12