autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

ultimate compound wet sand scratch removal

I did a seach but could not find an answer.

Simply..

What grit sanding scratches is ultimate compound capable of removing?

I am going to do some wet sand work on my fender as I am going to try spot repairing where the clear coat has chipped off.

Thanks in advance.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ultimate compound wet sand scratch removal

2000 grit, but thats with a DA. you will need a terry cloth towel for UC, and you may want to get 3000 grit. either way its gonna be a fair bit to work.
    Owner of Green Mobile Car Spa
    2002 Chrysler Sebring coupe 3.0liter

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch Removed using Ultimate Compound
    Mike demonstrated how to use UC to remove a deep scratch on door by hand before.
    i think thats a good reference.
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    Scratch Removed using Ultimate Compound
    Mike demonstrated how to use UC to remove a deep scratch on door by hand before.
    i think thats a good reference.
    Good memory... I wrote that article shortly after UC came out and we switched over to it for all the Saturday classes.

In order to remove this scratch by hand,

I had to put a little passion behind the pad.... and use multiple applications, but with a little persistence and perspiration it was removed while keeping my footprint or work area reduced to a minimum size.

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    I did a search but could not find an answer.

Simply..

What grit sanding scratches is ultimate compound capable of removing?

I am going to do some wet sand work on my fender as I am going to try spot repairing where the clear coat has chipped off.

Thanks in advance.
    Ultimate Compound is in the "Consumer Line" and as such there are no official recommendations for what grit particle size sanding marks it would remove because "Consumers" or "Enthusiasts" don't normally do things like wetsand and then remove sanding marks.

The counterpart to UC is M105 and it's rated at being able to remove #1200 Grit Sanding Marks but that's using a rotary buffer on fresh paint in a body shop environment.

IF you finish out using #2000 grit or higher, it should be fairly easy to remove your sanding marks by hand using some M105 or UC and a piece of terry cloth.

Note: The cotton loop which is what makes terry cloth terry cloth will act as a mild form of abrasive plus give the abrasives in any product more bite.

Couple that with the extreme pressure you can exert with just a few fingers pushing down against the paint and take my word for it... you're going to abrade and remove sanding marks.

I would recommend reading the entire article in the link below but I'll include and excerpt with some pictures too...

The Rule of Thumb

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The Rule of Thumb
    The rule of thumb I use is with my thumb, mostly because I always have it with me.

I use the distance from the tip of my thumb to the end of my thumbnail, which I just measured and it's about 3/4 of an inch and that's about how far away I stay from edges and raised body lines when I sand by hand or machine.

Actually a 1/2" is a pretty good rule of thumb the bigger idea is to not sand paint where you cannot safely buff with a wool pad, a cutting compound with a rotary buffer.

This is a technique I teach in our wet-sanding classes to give students a simple method or a simple guideline they can use to know just how far to sand when sanding near a hard body line or the edge of a panel. This is a simple technique that works for me but feel free to come up with your own method.

Show Car and Perfectionist Sanding and Polishing
    For those of you wanting to do perfectionist sanding and polishing, first make sure you're getting paid well because you can sand right up to an edge but removing your sanding marks has to be done carefully and this means it will require you to invest more time into the project.

How to sand right up to an edge and remove your sanding marks by hand
    There is a fix for the issue of sanding right next to an edge or a raised body line and that's by carefully sanding and then using Meguiar's M105 Ultra Compound by hand to remove your sanding marks. Another way to remove sanding marks next to an edge or to a raised body line is to use Spot Repair Pads on a rotary buffer using a technique I call Edging.

Because M105 is aggressive, (rated at being able to remove #1200 Grit Sanding Marks on fresh paint), and recommended for use by hand, you can easily remove sanding marks by hand if you're willing to put a little passion behind the pad.

There are a lot of compounds that can be applied by hand to remove sanding marks, but it's the ability of the super micro abrasive technology, (SMAT), used in M105 that gives it both its' cutting ability and the ability to polish out clear and glossy that makes M105 Ultra Compound a good choice for carefully rubbing out sanding marks right up to an edge or a raised body line by hand.

Note: The blue line you see in the pictures below is vinyl tape applied over the top of a body lines on the hood of this 1969 El Camino to make it easier to see and protect them. You can also do this with the edges of a panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you guys.

So I should remove the sanding scratches by hand?

I also have my GG6 with orange,white,black,blue LC flat pads if that makes a difference.
    Jacob

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    Thanks you guys.

So I should remove the sanding scratches by hand?

I also have my GG6 with orange,white,black,blue LC flat pads if that makes a difference.
    Heck no...

If you can, remove them by machine. The Griot's Garage DA is very good at maintaining pad rotation under pressure, that's kind of what a rotary buffer does just in a more efficient manner.

Try using your most aggressive pad with the UC and move the polisher slowly over the surface, this should remove the majority of the sanding marks.

The most important thing you can do is finish out using the highest grit paper you have and even reduce your hand pressure for your last sanding passes so you're not grinding abrasive particles deeper into the paint.

Sanding, like polishing paint is an art form when done correctly.

Take some good before and after pictures too...

Post Thanks / Like

I will. What I am going to attempt is what is outlined in this thread.

Updated 11/21/11: Clear Coat Failure and Repair(with all pics)

If it doesnt turn out good, oh well, it still needs a repaint anways,
    Jacob