autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

M205 Dust Dried and Stuck on Paint

I apologize if this has been covered, I tried searching through the forum and found dozens of article on annoyances of dusing in general, but none specific to this.

I used 205 on my black Acura TL, however I had started polishing later in the evening as the sun was setting and it was getting dark.

I noticed dust getting all over the place and tried just "dusting" it off the panels as I went along.

The next day it rained, thunderstorm, dirt, grime, etc.. I had neglected the car for the past two weeks, yesterday I cleaned it all up to find white speckles of M205 dust over the entire car. Most likely such fine particles I didn't see it in the dark.

I tried QD and it didn't even touch it. It looks like someone spattered white paint over the entire car. Worse yet there are now thousands of small microfibers stuck to each speckle from drying the car.

What a mess....

Is there anything that can take this off easily? (I have not tried clay yet).

Despite having read so much about taping off a car prior to polishing, it never hit me it could be this bad trying to clean up after the fact.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
    Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M205 Dust Dried and Stuck on Paint

I haven't experienced dusting with M205, not saying it won't happen but I've used it a lot. M105 on the other, I have experienced dusting with. Just grab your best micro fiber towel and a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol or if you really want to place an order at Autogeek, Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually - come to think of it I used 105 followed by 205.. on two seperate days though. It MAY be from the 105, but I'm nearly certain I would of noticed it going through w/ the 205....but I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Either way just spray some IPA and wipe off Just don't grind into and risk marring the paint. If needed, spray, allow to dwell, then spray and wipe away. I prefer Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner personally but IPA is everywhere.

*Edit - Sorry Mike, just realized this is your forum
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.. I've never used alochol on a car before, but I've seen it mentioned a lot in these forums.

Thanks again - I'll update the post w/ results!

Post Thanks / Like

Give the car a good soaking with a good sudsy car wash like Meg's Gold Class and then clay. 205 is water soluable, but you let it dry rock hard. It's gonna be like trying to get cement off. May take a few soakings. Good luck, and don't do that again.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience (which is pretty limited), you will have better luck with a strong soap than alcohol removing completely dried polishing residue. My suggestion would be to use a paint safe APC (all purpose cleaner) at a LOW dilution. I use Megs APC+ on all exterior surfaces at about 15:1 to 20:1 (it's not marketed for exterior but is considered very safe when diluted). Spray the car (cool, no sun) with it or apply with MF out of a bucket and let it sit about a few minutes but don't let it dry. Repeat soak stage. Rinse with water. Wipe dissolved scums carefully with MF. Final rinse (I use distilled water with a little ONR) and dry. APC should get you down to bare paint + anything that's really embedded or super nasty (clay required).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would Poor Boys APC / Degreaser fit the bill?

I just bought a bottle of it and havn't used it yet:
    Poorboy’s Bio-Degradable All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser: bleach-free, all purpose cleaner for most interior and exterior surfaces.

Thanks,
    Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Either way just spray some IPA and wipe off Just don't grind into and risk marring the paint. If needed, spray, allow to dwell, then spray and wipe away. I prefer Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner personally but IPA is everywhere.
    I'd be VERY CAREFUL using IPA on paint. IPA is a solvent for the clear. A guy in another thread just dissolved a spot of clear w/ IPA trying to remove tree sap. Use it if you wish, just realize that you're assuming a risk if you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soulman1980 View Post
    Would Poor Boys APC / Degreaser fit the bill?

I just bought a bottle of it and havn't used it yet:
    Poorboy’s Bio-Degradable All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser: bleach-free, all purpose cleaner for most interior and exterior surfaces.

Thanks,
    Justin

I would wait for confirmation from somebody that will check out the MSDS for you, but the answer is probably yes. For safety, I would not use it higher than 10:1 (perhaps start at 20:1 and see if it breaks up the residue) and don't let it dry.

From detailedimage:
    Product Description

The Poorboy's World Biodegradable All Purpose Cleaner (Bio APC) is an all purpose degreaser that can be used all over the interior, exterior and engine bay of a vehicle. This one bottle is a great asset to any detailer who wants to remove dirt, dust, grease, stains, brake dust, road grime from the wheels, tires, dashboard, doors, carpets, trim, engine bay and more. This powerful cleaner is strong enough for doing an engine detail but safe enough for carpet care. It does a fantastic job of breaking up virtually every form of contamination that ranges from heavy soil build ups to stubborn grease. Use it on your dashboard, arm rests, doors, carpets and more for a thorough cleaning. Additionally use it as a wheel cleaner that releases brake dust and other road grime. The unlimited uses of this product makes it a must have for any detailer. You should dilute this cleaner to a 3:1 ratio of water to cleaner for the best value. You can use it full strength on difficult build-ups if needed. Get the Poorboy's World Bio APC today and give your vehicle the cleaning it needs.

NOTE - Not intended to be applied to hot, uncoated or highly polished metal & wheels. Triggers are not included with the following sizes: 32 oz
    Product Information

• An outstanding, concentrated, all purpose cleaner that should be in anyones detailing arsenal
    • Can be use to degrease paint, engine bays, clean carpets, tires, trim, vinyl, rubber, and much more
    • Dilute down to a 10:1 ratio with distilled water, or use full strength for stubborn stains
    • For easy dilution and usability, we recommend a 22 oz spray bottle or a convenient 4 oz pump bottle
    • Read full description

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast