autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the BEST Finishing/Jeweling polish to use AFTER Meguiars 205 with a Flex or PC for that extra gloss?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    None that come to mind.

The only reason I could reasonably envision needing that much orbital speed would be if I was attempting to create more random rotation of the backing plate.

Assuming that the backing plate and buffing pad were both optimized to assist in transferring the machine's motion to the pad face (thin or rigid pad, not too large or small a pad, backing plate matched closely in diameter to a square-edged pad, stuff like that), I would only see a need for maximum plate rotation if I was attempting to use the edge of the pad as I might use the edge of a pad that was mounted to a rotary. That is, for the purpose of leveling sanding ridges or other non-level surface defects.

The question is... why do you typically dial in more motor speed in the first place? Is it so that you can polish a given spot on the paint 10 times more per second (a 600 OPM increase)? No, for that, you would simply use slower arm speed, or polish the area using added passes.

For the most part, we tend to increase motor speed to assist the machine in creating more backing plate rotation. If you must rely solely upon increasing motor speed to bump up backing plate rotation, perhaps some changes to your polishing procedure are in order. If that doesn't fix things... changing your choice of pad, or backing plate (or the combination) may also be needed.
    Thank you very much!

Your wisdom was recently a car life savor for me

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the BEST Finishing/Jeweling polish to use AFTER Meguiars 205 with a Flex or PC for that extra gloss?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    None that come to mind.

The only reason I could reasonably envision needing that much orbital speed would be if I was attempting to create more random rotation of the backing plate.

Assuming that the backing plate and buffing pad were both optimized to assist in transferring the machine's motion to the pad face (thin or rigid pad, not too large or small a pad, backing plate matched closely in diameter to a square-edged pad, stuff like that), I would only see a need for maximum plate rotation if I was attempting to use the edge of the pad as I might use the edge of a pad that was mounted to a rotary. That is, for the purpose of leveling sanding ridges or other non-level surface defects.

The question is... why do you typically dial in more motor speed in the first place? Is it so that you can polish a given spot on the paint 10 times more per second (a 600 OPM increase)? No, for that, you would simply use slower arm speed, or polish the area using added passes.

For the most part, we tend to increase motor speed to assist the machine in creating more backing plate rotation. If you must rely solely upon increasing motor speed to bump up backing plate rotation, perhaps some changes to your polishing procedure are in order. If that doesn't fix things... changing your choice of pad, or backing plate (or the combination) may also be needed.
    This was a big help in giving me a better perspective in what I was doing.

2007 Ford Focus detailed by Rodney

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011