autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Scratches from Glass

I have very fine scratching that I would like to remove from my windows. Its nothing serious, kinda similar to swirl marks in paint.

The stuff I see in the store talks about removing water spots. To me that means mineral deposits. I need something with cutting power to level the glass. Does that come from the pads they sell?

Is there anything that can be done to remove these?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Scratches from Glass

Here is a link to a review of DP High performance Glass restorer

DP High Performance Glass Restorer

But it is a very messy and incredibly time consuming process. Unless your vehicle is an exotic or an antique it might just be cheaper to replace it.
    But several people here on the forum have done it to their cars. With quite good results. And there are lots of different products out there. Griots and Eastwood have glass restoration products, as well as Diamondite.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, glass polishing kits for actual light scratch removal use thick abrasive sanding pads and specific finishing compounds in a 3-4 stage process. If you can find a kit online you should be able to complete the job with any decent rotary (not sure about a DA). If you take this route, please document and share your experiences.

The vast majority of glass shops are not going to be equipped or want put in the labor to attempt to resurface the glass, so that's not usually an option. You may be able to call around and find a recommendation for somebody that has a business repairing commercial glass.

These kits come with backing plates for a drill... you would probably need to get 3 and 4" bps for your rotary.
    Amazon.com: scratch magic plus - glass scratch repair kit: Automotive
    Deluxe Glass Polishing Kit for Deep Scratch Repair

"Product Description

Glass Technology's glass restoration discs use a 5 step process depending on the depth of the scratched glass. The discs are color coated based on aggression. These progressions are from most aggressive to polish starting with GREEN, PINK, BLUE, ORANGE, AND WHITE. In order to achieve effective results users must progress down through the aggressions uniformly from whatever aggression or color is initially used. Example: If damage is removed with the blue aggression a user must then progress to orange followed by white in order to achieve a final result.

Orange Disc (Fine) used for visible light scratches and heavy hard water removal on glass surfaces that cannot be remove with just the white polishing disc. Available in 3 and 5 inch materials. Can be purchased individually or in 25, 50, and 100 pack quantities."

You could buy their 5" discs and some glass compound and give it a shot.
    Amazon.com: 5" orange disc (fine) each: Automotive
    Amazon.com: 5" white (polishing) disc each: Automotive
    Last edited by jbgrant; 05-05-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I polished my windshield a few months ago. Here is the thread to it

Winshield polish & G1 glass coating

I used the LC glass polish and the Griots glass cutting disc on my 3m bp. If you are using a rotary I would highly reccomend using a cushioned backing plate. It made it much easier for me. Mine wasnt perfect but I was able to get alot of correction done.

I dont believe the DP glass restorer has any abrasives in it. I could be wrong but I think it is a chemical cleaner so it wont have the cutting ability to remove scratches. You will want it as a follow up after the LC polish though.

That is just my tidbits of advice from my limited glass polishing.

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Lake country makes a glass polishing pad if you have a machine. It's got abrasives molded right into it. I haven't tried mine yet though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    I polished my windshield a few months ago. Here is the thread to it

Winshield polish & G1 glass coating

I used the LC glass polish and the Griots glass cutting disc on my 3m bp. If you are using a rotary I would highly reccomend using a cushioned backing plate. It made it much easier for me. Mine wasnt perfect but I was able to get alot of correction done.

I dont believe the DP glass restorer has any abrasives in it. I could be wrong but I think it is a chemical cleaner so it wont have the cutting ability to remove scratches. You will want it as a follow up after the LC polish though.

That is just my tidbits of advice from my limited glass polishing.

Jon
    Jon, has anyone tried this stuff for removing single scratches on side windows (you know, those ugly scratches you get in your side windows from putting them up and down with dirt in the track)
    The more people I meet.....the more I like my dog

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using the kit that autogeek sells. I spent a couple hours working on my windshield. I made a total mess of the job. In the end I probably put in more scratches than I removed.

I used the same kit on drivers side window to remove a verticle scratch. It actually worked alot better. I didn't totally remove it, but it is significantly less noticeable.

In order to make the system work you need to apply alot of pressue, and I don't think I could exert enough pressure on the curved windshield (especially in the middle).

Overall, glass polishing is one hell of a tough job.