autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DP High Performance Glass Restorer

I was very fortunate to have RWRight send me a sample of the DP high performance glass restorer to try out on some damaged glass. A important note up front, my review is based upon a bit of an off-label use, to see how much damage I could polish out.

Product: DP High Performance Glass Restorer 32 oz.
    Consistency: very thin and runny
    Color: White
    Smell: slight citrus (pleasant).
    Price: $18.99/32oz Currently on BOGO
    Manufacturers claim: "DP High Performance Glass Restorer works by gently exfoliating the surface of the glass on a microscopic level. It does not scratch the glass. The thick cream safely pulls contaminants out of the glass, including mineral deposits, and then smoothes out mildly etched glass until it is crystal clear".
    Application: by hand or DA.
    ProTip: If the glass pad is not sticking to the backing plate very well, it is on the wrong way.

Condition of the glass being tested: very pitted from road sand. The glass in the following pictures has been cleaned, so all of the imperfections visible are actually small chips in the glass.

From here I mounted the camera on a tripod so it would stay in one place, and setup a time lapse of the correction.

I used the Flex Rotary with a glass polishing pad at 1500RPM and went over the test area until the polish broke down, then repeated this process 4 times in total. As you may notice I did this on the passenger side, since this was my first time polishing glass, if I made a mistake I didn't want it to affect my vision.

Working with the polish was very easy, though I had to switch to a more flexible backing plate to make the polishing a bit easier to control. Polishing on the glass was also a very good lesson in keeping all of the weight on the polisher over the spindle and using the body only to steer with.

On to polishing:

After I was done polishing (about 20 minutes in the area visible in the frame) I noticed something interesting while cleaning off the area with glass cleaner. The beading pattern where I polished with the DP HPGR was much different than the surrounding area. It seemed to be much smoother which shed the cleaning solution much differently (this is after a good cleaning, so no polishing oils are left).

Now this one is completely my fault, or as I like to look at it: a learning opportunity. Somehow I ended up getting a bit of grit or dirt in my pad, and I put a nice pig tail into the glass. It really is not bothering me though, because it will give me a great opportunity to use and review the Diamondite® Glass Resurfacing Crème cleans and polishes auto glass windshields and windows. Diamondite glass polish removes light scratches from car if it ever is back in stock as a single bottle (hint hint). So take it from Mike, work clean!

So now for a comparison look, as there was a lot of damage to start with it is difficult to measure how well the DP HPGR worked keeping in mind it is only supposed to be working at a microscopic level, and nothing near what I threw at it.

You can see where the tape line was on the right hand side, the DP HPGR actually removed a surprising number of defects in the glass, what I consider a significant result. (streaking on the right is from the glass cleaner not being completely dry).

More side by side comparisons (before/after):

In conclusion - the DP High Performance Glass Restorer goes a bit beyond what it claims to do if you push it. I am positive this would be a perfect match for glass with spotting or minor etching, and that heavier corrections should step up to Diamondite systems, which I hope to acquire and review in the near future. The difference the polishing made in terms of beading surprised me.

As a final test, I tried using Menzerna Power Gloss with the glass polishing pad, since I know a lot of people use M105 to polish out glass. It was a bad experience, it was very grabby and made the rotary very difficult to control. I think dedicated glass polishes have a place in my arsenal.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP High Performance Glass Restorer

Nice review !

I love DP's Glass Restorer for its ability to clean and prep glass. I dont use it as a dedicated polish, but to remove water marks and road debris its great. Best part, it can be used by machine or hand with nice results.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I was using the white glass cleaning pads the other day with Griot's glass cleaning polish. My LC backing plate was not flexible enough so I has to use an orange foam pad instead. Did clean the windshield but not as well. Some scratches were still there. I will give DP High Performance Glass Restorer a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I need to look into the Diamondite products now that I know what this product is and isn't capable of. Thanks!
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Thought the directions said by hand or DA. Noticed you used a rotary. Friend of mine used a rotary on his glass and warped it..had to get a new windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Nice review. Thought the directions said by hand or DA. Noticed you used a rotary. Friend of mine used a rotary on his glass and warped it..had to get a new windshield.
    Got to be careful with RPM as it heats up quickly which means you have to mist it with water to cool. That is why I elected to drop my RPM (1100) and use an orange cutting pad.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I notice about your review. In your description you say it was runny. Then the DP description says it is thick and creamy. Is it possible you got a separated sample and it did not work up to its full potential? I have never tried or even seen this product, it is just something I noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, thanks for taking the time.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Your review was spot on!

I guess I'm overly suspicious of manufactures claims however as with most of the products I've purchased through Autogeek my experience has been just the opposite....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast