autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommend a polisher and sealant for outside truck

I will be purchasing a DA soon, either a PC or a Griot's. My truck is a 2008 white Tundra and I have to park it outside. I have read and searched numerous threads and info but haven't found an answer.

Which polisher and sealant would you recommend that will hold up to the outside and sun? I live in SoCal. Also, I will be buying some 5.5 inch foam pads. Which ones would you recommend? My paint is in decent condition. Minor swirls and some offroad brush marks from shrubs.

Thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommend a polisher and sealant for outside truck

Quote Originally Posted by DJM86 View Post
    I will be purchasing a DA soon, either a PC or a Griot's. My truck is a 2008 white Tundra and I have to park it outside. I have read and searched numerous threads and info but haven't found an answer.

Which polisher and sealant would you recommend that will hold up to the outside and sun? I live in SoCal. Also, I will be buying some 5.5 inch foam pads. Which ones would you recommend? My paint is in decent condition. Minor swirls and some offroad brush marks from shrubs.

Thanks in advance!!
    Griots 6" DA along with 3 each of their two different pads. I wouldn't worry about buying the 5.5's at this time. You might also get 2 - 6'5" Surbufs. They will fit perfectly on the factory backing plate

Menzerna Power Gloss for your sealant
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Which polisher and sealant would you recommend that will hold up to the outside and sun? I live in SoCal.

Also, I will be buying some 5.5 inch foam pads. Which ones would you recommend? My paint is in decent condition. Minor swirls and some offroad brush marks from shrubs.

The GG has more power and maintains pad rotation under pressure better than other DA Polishers, this is helpful when doing any correction steps.

Thin, small diameter pads rotate better under pressure than large, thick pads. The Griot's Garage 6" pads are about 1" thick and the tool can easily rotate them but if you're going to be buffing more than just your truck then look into getting a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads.

Any of the 5.5" pads work great, it really comes down to personal preference, the CCS, Flat and Hydro all will get the job done.

See this article as it has pictures of the pads and the backing plates plus links to the store for more specific information about each...

The principals discussed in the below thread apply to ANY DA Polisher including all the current versions...

How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

This one is good too...

Thin is in... New Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

There's a lot of topical articles related to buffing out your truck in my article list...

How-To Articles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Griots 6" DA along with 3 each of their two different pads. I wouldn't worry about buying the 5.5's at this time. You might also get 2 - 6'5" Surbufs. They will fit perfectly on the factory backing plate

Menzerna Power Gloss for your sealant
    Flash, did you mean Power Lock? Power Gloss is a cutting polish not a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Flash, did you mean Power Lock? Power Gloss is a cutting polish not a sealant.
    Oooops

Thanks for picking me up there S2K
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Which polisher and sealant would you recommend that will hold up to the outside and sun? I live in SoCal.

Coatings are proving to provide longer lasting protection than traditional waxes and sealants, maybe take a look at one of these options.

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Coatings are proving to provide longer lasting protection than traditional waxes and sealants, maybe take a look at one of these options.

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I have a lot of learning to do. Can't wait to begin!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    all sounds good . same recomendations i received when I asked for help . yet I'm topping powerlock with 845 .