autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Tire Dressing needed?

If I get myself a wheel/tire cleaner like the Mothers Foaming All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, or Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103, or Meguiars Wheel Brightener, will I still be needing a tire dressing? Can I achieve the deep black appearance of the tire (almost new look) just by using cleaners?

If not, what is the best economical tire dressing available?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Tire Dressing needed?

Quote Originally Posted by rjgervacio View Post
    If I get myself a wheel/tire cleaner like the Mothers Foaming All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, or Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103, or Meguiars Wheel Brightener, will I still be needing a tire dressing? Can I achieve the deep black appearance of the tire (almost new look) just by using cleaners?

If not, what is the best economical tire dressing available?

No, after cleaning your tires it will look dull and a faded black. I happen to like Optimum Tire Gel, but some like it glossy. You will get 10 different answers on tire dressings.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer no dressing on the tires. Just the fenderwells. Looks much cleaner that way IMO
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really love the high gloss look, but I can't seem to get away from 'slinging' and those ever so annoying black specks that wind up on my car. I've tried lesser amounts of products, different products (All Armor All), and up to 12 hours of drying. Nothing seems to work. Going to attempt different brands and see if the results are any better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I prefer no dressing on the tires. Just the fenderwells. Looks much cleaner that way IMO
    No dressing eh, interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    No, after cleaning your tires it will look dull and a faded black.
    Not necessarily so... I had a set of Firestone A/Ts for 4 years that had a smooth, sidewall apart from the RWLs. If you dried the tires after washing they were clean, black and unfaded. Only tires I ever owned that were like that.

TL

Post Thanks / Like

Another facet to this question: Do tire dressings actually keep the rubber from oxidizing/fading from deep black to charcoal-grey?

Several tire brands are actually producing sidewall compounds that are more resistant to fade than they were a decade ago.

I generally don't use tire dressing either because I go through tires too fast (too many corners to be properly experienced) and don’t see the need for spreading more chemicals around the roadways for little added value over the life of my cars. [and in case you're wondering, I'm of course cornering hard to save fuel... let's not concern ourselves with logic here] Even on non-daily drivers I don’t feel it’s possible for a tire dressing to prevent sidewall cracking as many manufactures seem to claim, but I would love to be proven wrong. Just my opinion on it; don’t get me wrong I like a black satin tire and would certainly be happy to dress up any customer’s car on request, I'm just more concerned with protection than image (no, that's not my approach to anything else).

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone seems to have mixed opinions about this topic and I could definitely understand why. I guess it's safe to say that tire dressing can be optional. Agree?

Post Thanks / Like

rubber will oxidize and turn brown naturally over time and with exposure to the ambient. Tire dressings are a way to mitigate the look of naturally occurring oxidation, or damage from brushing or cleaning too hard, or whatever. I don't think it will prevent anything or necessarily prolong the tire life, but tires sure look better black than brown IMO. I prefer the matte tire shine or the slightly glossy like Optimum (the new formula rocks!). For corrected black cars I believe a higher gloss suits the end result better, but I still knock it down with a dry wipe after application. Thin is the key to avoid fling, and make sure to wipe really good around letters and features since slop will accumulate there.

That said, Wurth used to make some nice rubber care product in a spray can. We worked on a Vector W8 with the original tires from 1992. Never washed, just wiped clean and Wurth Rubber on the tires. Looked flat black, awesome, no cracks. The cans were as old as the car, the whole few cases of the stuff the owner had stockpiled. Couldn't pay him enough to let us have one can!

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    No dressing eh, interesting.
    Only on the fenderwells

Its not for everyone I suppose
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast