autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Test Spot question

Two things that Mike Phillips preaches are: 1. Use a test spot and 2. Use the least aggressive approach first.

Now, my question is about both of these bits of advice. If I'm doing a test spot, say with a PC7424XP, white LC CCS pad and Optimum Polish and I'm finding that it's not getting the job done, what now? Do I:

1. Choose a more aggressive pad?
    2. Choose a more aggressive polish/compound?
    3. Both?

On that same topic, if I do decide to go to a more aggressive method, do I tape off a new section and create a new test spot or go over the original test spot with the new pad/polish combo?
    My Versa probably looks better than yours

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Test Spot question

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRaizer View Post
    Two things that Mike Phillips preaches are: 1. Use a test spot and 2. Use the least aggressive approach first.

Now, my question is about both of these bits of advice. If I'm doing a test spot, say with a PC7424XP, white LC CCS pad and Optimum Polish and I'm finding that it's not getting the job done, what now? Do I:

3. Both?

On that same topic, if I do decide to go to a more aggressive method, do I tape off a new section and create a new test spot or go over the original test spot with the new pad/polish combo?
    You can use the same test spot. Go to a more aggressive pad first and if that doesn't work a more aggressive polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Mike Phillips

3. Both?
    Great question and there's really no right or wrong answer because you could go all three routes. The more experience you have with the compounds and polishes you use and the more confidence you have from years behind the polisher helps a lot to make these types of choice.

There's the issue of cross-contaminating products on to the same pad if you choose to substitute a more aggressive product but continue with the same pad but if you find this approach works then it's really a non-issue as long as you switch to a clean pad for the next step. (If that makes sense)

I would say if you're not seeing correction results as fast as you want then do both, but if you want to do just one then go for the more aggressive product as more aggressive abrasive technology usually trumps more aggressive foam technology for these types of tools.

To have a "pure" test, you would start on a fresh section of paint otherwise your results would be skewed.

In the real world this mean you would be investing more time in dialing in your process and have a number of different "test spots" on the panel. This is just one reason that having a flat, horizontal panel works great for doing your testing, another reason is it's best to be able to look down on the results. And of course, if you're using the sun to inspect for things like swirls after the fact horizontal panels tend to work better.

You can use vertical panels but it's just a tick more difficult.

This is kind of why I often time type,

"You can make detailing your car as difficult as you like"

Not that doing good work isn't important but there does come a point where you want to just wash and wax the car and move on in life...