autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt or Makita?

I am debating between purchasing a the dewalt buffer or the makita. I paint cars and after applying three coats of clear i wet sand one off and do compound, swirl mark remover, and then polish! ive read here and other forums that the makita sets the standard! i am in the $250 - $280 range, and since its going to be my first buffer i buy, i dont want it to regret it later on! i would appreciate all the advice from everyone here! Thanks a lot guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dewalt or Makita?

Well i have the Makita and have no problems with it . I had to fix the cord once but that is a common issue with them .If you ask an old school guy like Detail Dave or Dana they only use the De-Walt they like the extra weight . Personally i would go with the lightest rotary out there .I feel both machines will accomplish what your trying to do . Maybe you know some one that has either machine and you could try both out .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Well i have the Makita and have no problems with it . I had to fix the cord once but that is a common issue with them .If you ask an old school guy like Detail Dave or Dana they only use the De-Walt they like the extra weight . Personally i would go with the lightest rotary out there .I feel both machines will accomplish what your trying to do . Maybe you know some one that has either machine and you could try both out .
    I wanted to get something like the Metabo but he made it clear to me that the lightweights go into thermal shutdown. After seeing the new DeWalt 849 at SEMA and comparing it to the current model, I don't know if I want to wait for that or get the new Flex? The new 849 is lighter but more powerful, has a 600rpm feature like the Makita, and a few other new features. But the new Flex rotary is one fine machine.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    I wanted to get something like the Metabo but he made it clear to me that the lightweights go into thermal shutdown. After seeing the new DeWalt 849 at SEMA and comparing it to the current model, I don't know if I want to wait for that or get the new Flex? The new 849 is lighter but more powerful, has a 600rpm feature like the Makita, and a few other new features. But the new Flex rotary is one fine machine.
    Who is he?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Well i used the current Flex light weight and really liked .Only problem i found is that it gets very hot .They had the new De-Walt at last years DF and it seems to be a top notch machine also .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned the DeWalt buffer for quite some time now with no ploblems at all. The variable speed knob is great, as well as the trigger lock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    I am debating between purchasing a the dewalt buffer or the makita. I paint cars and after applying three coats of clear i wet sand one off and do compound, swirl mark remover, and then polish! ive read here and other forums that the makita sets the standard! i am in the $250 - $280 range, and since its going to be my first buffer i buy, i dont want it to regret it later on! i would appreciate all the advice from everyone here! Thanks a lot guys!
    Have you used a rotary? If not you might want to put 4 coats of clear. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Have you used a rotary? If not you might want to put 4 coats of clear. LOL
    ive seen people achieve good results with only 2 coats using a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    ive seen people achieve good results with only 2 coats using a rotary.
    Guess it went over your head.

Post Thanks / Like

Makita
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast