autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question BMW Z3 detail - advice needed

Hi, I need some help in identifying what these things are and how they can be corrected. Car is a yellow BMW Z3 convertible. Here are some pictures.

On the passenger door:

On the hood edge near the windshield:

On the hood - front part:

They seem to be globs of something that ate the paint. For the ones on the passenger door and hood (front part), there seems to be a transparent cover/film above the defect. What are these and how can I remedy them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW Z3 detail - advice needed

Its hard to tell but from what Im seeing #1 and #3 look like something ate through the clear and down to primer or metal. If that is the case there is nothing you can do about those. #2 looks like a paint run or where excess paint was sprayed.

Looking at the pictures that just doesnt look like factory paint to me, has this thing been resprayed?
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Mike Phillips

Yeah... looks like touch-up paint or something?

What's the story?

Also, how about a picture that shows the entire car, that's a very bright yellow...

Post Thanks / Like

#1 looks like a door ding that was touched up.
    #2 looks like a paint run.
    #3 looks like a rock chip that's had clear applied over it.

Based on the limited visual evidence, I'd say that the car has been repainted. I have owned 2 Z3s, with one still in my possession. Neither of them have or had paint texture like that.

The name of the factory paint color is found on a decal applied to the left front strut tower. It looks like Atlanta Blue metallic is peeking out through the defects in the yellow paint.

When dealing with non-factory paint of unknown origin, I treat each panel as a test section, starting with least aggressive methods and working up slowly until I am pleased with the results or until I feel I am about to do more harm than good.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, you guys are right. The owner told me that this car has been repainted years ago and the job done wasn't a good one. Looks as if the yellow was just sprayed on its previous red paint. The paint job was so bad that old red paint is still showing or starting to show in some areas where paint is usually thinner (edges). If you look closely in the engine bay for example, some nooks, crannies and hard to reach places are still red. Some panels at the rear have different shades of yellow too. Talk about bad work. The Z3 wasn't done justice with that kind of paint job.

Knowing this, I have really been careful with detailing this car. For one, I opted not to do any step 1 buffing or rubbing for fear of damaging the paint further. Given this, what is the best thing I can do to detail this car's paint? I still feel that this car has detail potential. (My team and I also did work for the interior to bring back some life to it.) And yes, I'll try to get some pictures of the entire car.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do much more then wash, clay and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to tell without looking at the car, but I might consider a one-step cleaner wax on the car. Again, careful testing sections and a very cautious technique are in order.

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a horrible paint job. Yeah thats a touchy situation for sure. Those 3 spots are there to stay it looks like...its just what to do about the REST of the car. If it is painted as poorly as you described id be scared of some clear coming off if you hit it with a machine...MAYBE on a lower speed with less pressure you could get some improvement without risking damaging the car...of course explain that to the owner first and see what he wants to do.

Wash clay and wax should be safe....if you do hit it with a machine maybe use an AIO like D151 so that you only have to go over it once?

Just throwing out ideas...id really like to see the full car too. From the pics it looks lke the surface of a lemon...lemon peel instead of orange peel lol
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    From the pics it looks lke the surface of a lemon...lemon peel instead of orange peel lol
    Exactly what I was thinking! It sounds like this may be a dedicated race car as the OP references his "Team." Personally, with that small of a car, I'd be considering a new paint job with all of the issues it has right now.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast