autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Upgrade to Aggressive Pad or more working time? How do you tell?

Hello All,

Well I finally started to do some paint correction (after washing and claying) on my car. I did what Mike suggested and started on a test panel on the hood.

I started with the least aggressive pad first that I thought would be sufficient to correct my swirls with an LC Orange CCS pad.

Flex DA with LC Orange CCS pad and Optimum Hyper Compound corrected a very good bit swirls, but not all.

I wanted to compare the results so then I did another section with LC Orange CCS pad with Optimum Hyper Compound spray then used LC White CCS pad with Optimum Hyper Polish spray.

This did improve even more but I can still see a very small amount of swirls still.

I did do a couple of passes I would say at least 6 or so on each panel I tested.

Do I need to do a lot more passes with the compound or polish or is it time to use a more aggressive pad such as a LC Yellow?

How do you know when to go to a more aggressive pad or do I need to continue to do more passes?

Any input or feedback would be appreciated.

Sorry no pictures since my friend had to borrow my DSLR =/

Thanks!
    Ryan
    '94 Single 6 Speed
    '03 Acura CL Type-S 6 Speed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrade to Aggressive Pad or more working time? How do you tell?

i recently went to yellow pads from orange CCS and its worth it. I plan to follow it up and step down how aggressive my pads are anyway so there is no reason to not use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SupraTurbo94 View Post
    Hello All,

Well I finally started to do some paint correction (after washing and claying) on my car. I did what Mike suggested and started on a test panel on the hood.

I started with the least aggressive pad first that I thought would be sufficient to correct my swirls with an LC Orange CCS pad.

Flex DA with LC Orange CCS pad and Optimum Hyper Compound corrected a very good bit swirls, but not all.

I wanted to compare the results so then I did another section with LC Orange CCS pad with Optimum Hyper Compound spray then used LC White CCS pad with Optimum Hyper Polish spray.

This did improve even more but I can still see a very small amount of swirls still.

I did do a couple of passes I would say at least 6 or so on each panel I tested.

Do I need to do a lot more passes with the compound or polish or is it time to use a more aggressive pad such as a LC Yellow?

How do you know when to go to a more aggressive pad or do I need to continue to do more passes?

Thanks!
    It is hard to believe that you can't eliminate swirls with an orange pad and a compound that is similar cut to 105, especially with a flex. I wonder if your technique might be the problem. Pressure, arm speed, rotational/orbital speed. M. Phillips had article on mistakes people make.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

How fast are you moving while making a 'pass'?

I havent used OHC, but that should still be plenty of cut to just remove swirls..

Post Thanks / Like

Well.. I am putting some light pressure and when making a pass I do know not to go to fast. Maybe I will slow down a bit more.

Also how long does one take on each section to correct? A minute or less?

I will get pics up tonight when I get my camera back.

Side note - My car has been repainted 3 years ago by one of the best paint shops in Orlando.. could it be my clear coat is very hard?

Thanks !
    Ryan
    '94 Single 6 Speed
    '03 Acura CL Type-S 6 Speed

Post Thanks / Like

wait a minute here. are you saying the least aggressive combo was orange pad and Optimum Hyper Compound? that is a pretty aggressive combo then you add the Flex. you maybe going to aggressive and start alot lighter. and was this done on the Supra or the Acura? my step dad has a 94 TT and it was easy to remove his swirls. even if it was a repaint and the shop is as good as you said they are then they should have used used the same paint and procedures as the original paint

these results with 3M ultra fina se Dewalt rotary and 3M grey finishing pad

Last edited by StephenK; 10-13-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well.. I am putting some light pressure and when making a pass I do know not to go to fast. Maybe I will slow down a bit more.

Also how long does one take on each section to correct? A minute or less?

I will get pics up tonight when I get my camera back.

Side note - My car has been repainted 3 years ago by one of the best paint shops in Orlando.. could it be my clear coat is very hard?

Thanks !
    Sounds like not enough pressure. See M. Phillips video on swirl removal.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

Thanks!
    Sent you PM
    I had luck with a Orange Kompressor pad.
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

i think this is a great question. i am kinda having this problem to. i have a black nissan, and i cant quite get the swirls out. i only have orange pads and a pcxp. i was thinking of just going right to the flex, but maybe i'll try the yellow pads first. just hate to add another step, but hey it could be worth it.
    I love DP products! although, I'm starting to lean towards the pinnacle line, thanks to liq. sovereign!

Post Thanks / Like

i still think you are looking at it wrong. you might just be to aggressive. try a less agressive method and see what happens.

cooksnj: the orange pad is a cutting pad and for most paint correction jobs orange is the most aggressive you need. you also need pads with less cut to them so the marring caused by the orange pads can be taken out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast