autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna Product input

My car is a garage queen. So it has very few, if any, swirls. I will use 85RD with a gray pad to clean and shine it up. There is not need to use a more aggresive polish if not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    My car is a garage queen. So it has very few, if any, swirls. I will use 85RD with a gray pad to clean and shine it up. There is not need to use a more aggresive polish if not needed.
    Perfect example where 85rd would be used.

If you are doing a multiple step correction, then using SIP followed by 106FA might be a better option. Because of 106FA's ability to 'cut' better, it will remove more minor defects left from using the SIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    SIP!!

What's the difference between 106FA and 85RD? I wouldn't think that you would need both as I believe that they are both finishing polishes?

The abbrassives in both products are the SAME. There is only more of the SAME abbrasive in the 106FA than in the 85 RD. Menzerna made the 106FA as a 1-step product. It just takes longer to brake down.

My Menzerna products:
    S500 (Fast Gloss)
    S34 Power Gloss
    PO85RD 3.02 (also for ceramic paints)
    PO85 RD (also for ceramic paints)

Menzerna is very good but they make too many different products and they change the codes sometimes.

An IPA wipedown is recommended because the oils in 85RD can cover up minor holograms.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    What's interesting is that while 106FA has a cut of 2.5 and the 85RD has a cut of 1, they both have a gloss rating of 5.

I actually have both of these polishes, but I've never been able to really tell much difference between them.
    That's a testimony to the chemists at Menzerna to be able to create polishes with different abrading ability but able to finish down so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    My car is a garage queen. So it has very few, if any, swirls. I will use 85RD with a gray pad to clean and shine it up.

There is not need to use a more aggressive polish if not needed.
    Exactly.

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Quote Originally Posted by Dibbuz View Post
    The abrasives in both products are the SAME. There is only more of the SAME abrasive in the 106FA than in the 85 RD. Menzerna made the 106FA as a 1-step product. It just takes longer to brake down.
    Just curious if you obtained that information from someone inside Menzerna or is it public knowledge somewhere?

I've had the opportunity to discuss "abrasives" and abrasive technology with chemists before and it was very eye-opening to the wide variety of types and forms of different types of abrasives.

It taught me that MSD sheets are not formulas and not to ever read that much into them as it relates to what's specifically in the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I work on a lot of severely neglected finishes. I have tried lots of different compounds and most have either been so abrasive that they are like sand in a bottle, requiring 2 additional polishing steps to finish LSP ready. Some have finished nicely but take way too long to be cost effective for me and some turn to a watery mess in the heat of summer. I have recently received a quart of power gloss S34 and just wish I had tried this stuff first. it is quite abrasive at first but breaks down rather quickly to finish out decent enough to follow with something like SSR2 that will finish LSP ready for most of the jobs that I am doing.

Some folks are saying that Power Gloss is very dusty but I have not encountered that problem at all. I have tried it with a PC, a Flex and rotary and while it works with all 3 machines it seems to work best with the rotary. for a product that cuts as fast as it does it finishes down nicer than any compound I have ever tried. It is nice and thick almost like toothpaste so I don't see it turning watery. Power Gloss is the only Menzerna product that I have used so far but I will surely be purchasing other Menzerna products from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

@Mike, the information comes from Menzerna factory in Germany.
    I work at a detailing (web)store (also big customer from AG!) and we have Menzerna polishes under private label.

They told us they had 3 finishing polishes we could choose from:
    85RD, 85RE and 106FA. The difference between them is the amount of the same abrasives in them. We choose the one in the middle (85RE).
    If it aint true than they are lying to their customers

I have tried all three quite some time but I also can't find the difference between them. I do notice that the 106FA is a bit more "oily" than the others but the finish is the same.

If possible, ask for some Fast Gloss (S500) samples, it smells really bad but it works great! Better cut and better finish than the S34

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dibbuz View Post
    @Mike, the information comes from Menzerna factory in Germany.
    I work at a detailing (web)store (also big customer from AG!) and we have Menzerna polishes under private label.

They told us they had 3 finishing polishes we could choose from:
    85RD, 85RE and 106FA. The difference between them is the amount of the same abrasives in them. We choose the one in the middle (85RE).
    If it aint true than they are lying to their customers

I have tried all three quite some time but I also can't find the difference between them. I do notice that the 106FA is a bit more "oily" than the others but the finish is the same.

If possible, ask for some Fast Gloss (S500) samples, it smells really bad but it works great! Better cut and better finish than the S34
    Dibbuz - questions for you. I currently use M105, M205 have some WG and Meg D151, XMT360 and I have Menz PO85RD. I like them all but am looking for a 1 step product and if need go with a final finishing polish. So here is the products I'm thinking about and if you could give me your option on the one's you would think I would use the most and be the most effective.

PO34A - used on really neglected cars with one of the finishing products below if necessary.

PO203 - used on med to less neglective cars with one if the polishes below if need to bring out the since and gloss.

PO106FA or PO85RD - These would be for less negleted cars or light colors. I've used PO85RD and like this product alot. Just don't know which would be better.

PO115CQ - used just to make the gloss shine as a touch up. Mainly on my black 2010 camaro. I want something with no cut but a lot of gloss.

Let me know what your option is. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for all your input. This is narrowing down my list of what I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro2010
    PO34A - used on really neglected cars with one of the finishing products below if necessary.
    I always use at least 2 extra steps to polish this one down. I follow this up with 85RD 3.02 and 85RD and if neccesary dual action with 85RD to prevent any holograms/

PO203 - used on med to less neglective cars with one if the polishes below if need to bring out the since and gloss.
    Try 85RD 3.02 (new name is PO83Q), in my opnion the PO83Q is a little better to work with.

PO106FA or PO85RD - These would be for less negleted cars or light colors. I've used PO85RD and like this product alot. Just don't know which would be better.
    If you're planning on using only 1 polish sometimes than take the 106FA, if you always use a multi step polishplan than the 85RD is the one to take. It's faster to work because there are less abrassives to break down.

PO115CQ - used just to make the gloss shine as a touch up. Mainly on my black 2010 camaro. I want something with no cut but a lot of gloss.
    Don't know this product so I can't say anything about it.

You really can't go rong with the Menzerna's. I find it to be the best polish there is today on the market although the M105 and 205 are excellent pollishes as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12