autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black paint marring (I think) problems.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for another marring (I think) thread. New guy to the detailing hobby after many months of reading here. This is my first attempt and learning new processes, techniques.

I have read a lot on this forum trying to figure out what I am stuck on. Microfiber towel scratches is where I think I am and I have read that section but can't get away from them so thought I would post for you gurus to check out. Also read final wipe.

Will a sealant like M21 cover these? I would much prefer to remove them and not cover them up if possible.

I have included pics from the start to the problem in case that helps.

Process:

-2 Bucket wash
    -clay bar
    -IPA wipe down

-M105/Soft Buff 2.0 Yellow
    -M205/Soft Buff 2.0 Yellow
    -M205/Soft Buff 2.0 Black
    -via G110v2

The after hood pics show what it looks like in the garage under halogens and what it looks like with sun at an angle.

This marring seems to be dependant on the wipe down and not in the DA process. I tried wiping horizontal and vertical and I get the corresponding streak, scratch direction. I have tried microfiber towels in 80/20, 70/30, thick, thin, used several on top of the one I am wiping the surface with to soften the touch, IPA spray on the towel to moisten it and help remove the polish. I've tried harder wipes, makes it worse, soft wipes are better.

I have used clean towels, new towels, dirty towels hahaha. I have also folded them to keep the edges off the car. BTW can these edges be cut off or will they fray too badly?

Maybe I will just drive after sunset. haha.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black paint marring (I think) problems.-rqtr-before-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-5050-after-105-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-rqtrafter105-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-hood-before-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-hood-before-1-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-hoodafter-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-hoodafter1-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-hood1-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-hood2-jpg   Black paint marring (I think) problems.-hood3-jpg  

Black paint marring (I think) problems.-hood4-jpg  
    Last edited by WestEnd; 02-07-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black paint marring (I think) problems.

Is this a European car? Euro paints are very soft & attempting not to scratch them is almost impossible. I know, I have the car in my sig and it scratches if you look at it long enough.

Don't cut the MF towels as they will be more susceptible to picking up debris & will have a shorter life anyway.

As far as wiping down ........
    I never wipe down a painted finish any other way than one stroke from front to back. Pick up and do the same for each wipe. I constantly fold the MF & use the least amount of pressure possible. Something you may want to try is wetting the MF towel being used to remove the excess polish with quick detailer spray. Just dampen it.

This should help quite a bit.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Post Thanks / Like

Do a CD test on your MF's.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, european haha.

OK I will do the CD test

Post Thanks / Like

You have marring, rids and some hologramming going on. Whoever buffed it last time used either the wrong technique, overworked the product, or has a dirty bonnet or pad !

Post Thanks / Like

haha I have no doubts the last one to buff it may have caused problems ... it was me and my first attempt.

I also just found this from Mike and it may relate as well.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...marring-3.html

I might try M21 to see if it conceals it, but that will drive me nuts knowing its still under there LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Just read where a finishing polish like PO85RD or Ultrafina would help when wiping it down. I am using a DA so Ultrafina is designed for a rotary.

This hopefully makes sense, I am such a newbie haha. What about some kind of diminishing finishing polish? I am wondering if there is enough abrasive in the M205 that when I wipe it off it is marring.

I still need to give the Shade one wipe procedure a try, hopefully later today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    haha I have no doubts the last one to buff it may have caused problems ... it was me and my first attempt.

I also just found this from Mike and it may relate as well.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...marring-3.html

I might try M21 to see if it conceals it, but that will drive me nuts knowing its still under there LOL.
    That's the thread I started. Welcome to the world of marring frustration. I'm a noob, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Some paints are just very soft. There was a guy who was a member on Meguiar's Online (and he might be a member on here as well, actually, I'm not sure) who had a black Chevy Colorado, and just a gentle swipe on the paint with his finger would mar it. So I'm sure a good part of your problem is the soft paint.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wax Gorilla View Post
    You have marring, rids and some hologramming going on. Whoever buffed it last time used either the wrong technique, overworked the product, or has a dirty bonnet or pad !
    Which picture/s show the holograms?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast