autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Fabric vs. vinyl. What is the deal?

Ok, so I am reading through old posts on fabric and vinyl convertible tops..trying to get better educated. Can you car lovers enlighten me a little...

I see reading through posts that the majority of AGO patrons like the 303 line with some followers of Raggtopp for cleaning then following up with 303 as a protectant. That is what the majority is stating anyways.

So ...there is a 303 universal cleaner for fabric and vinyl convertible tops (awesome..nice and simple) but not a protectant that is universal for both materials

1. Why is there not a universal protectant for both mateials?

2. Most importantly...how do you know besides asking the owner (who usually does not know) or calling a local car dealership if the top is vinyl or fabric? It is my guess that fabric will have small little squares that can be seen in the material..but I am not certain...hence the post...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fabric vs. vinyl. What is the deal?

1.-Completely different materials. The fabric is usually cotton based and there for naturally absorbs water if not treated and protected. It would be like using the same protectant on your tires and on your paint. Completely different.

2.-You are right. You can tell by the materials looks. When I first got my Sky I wasn't sure. I new it wasn't vinyl but wasn't sure exactly... untill I did some reading. The vinyl has that "smoother" look to it. The fabric has a weave. If you aren't sure do a quick search on the internet for your specific car.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

1.-Completely different materials. The fabric is usually cotton based and there for naturally absorbs water if not treated and protected. It would be like using the same protectant on your tires and on your paint. Completely different.

From a little looking into this topic most tops that we call "Canvas" are actually made from synthetic acrylic fibers. The material looks like cotton or cotton fabric, which is a naturally grown material but it's in fact mostly man-made as a byproduct from the cracking process of petroleum distillates (That's just a guess)

That said, the modern canvas tops will still absorb water like a cotton canvas material and for this reason you want to seal them with a waterproofing protectant to both keep water off your head and also to help prevent mold and mildew from taking root inside the weave.

Vinyl tops are more of a solid sheet of material like a vinyl seat and will repel water due to their dense structure but you still want to protect them for longevity reasons and appearance reasons.

Does that help?

Mike Phillips

14automobiles,

I didn't have writing a review of RaggTopp Fabric Protectant on my To-Do List today but after you started this post remembered it rained sometime before lunch because I went out to my truck and put my windows up.

That got me to thinking about what the roof might look like? Even though it had been hours since it rained, probably around 2-3 hours, the water was still beading high on the high points and pooling in the low areas with no seepage on the inside whatsoever.

So I wrote a little review and posted it to the Review Section here on the forum and here's a portion of it, click the blue link to see the entire thread.

RaggTopp Fabric Protectant Review - Waterproofing & Waterbeading

After having my Bikini Top made I treated it with 2-3 applications of RaggTopp Fabric Protectant to insure it was waterproof because when it rains here in Stuart, Florida it comes down by the bucket loads.

About an hour ago we had a shower and there was a thread about cloth tops and vinyl tops and that got me wondering what my top looked like as it's easily been about a month since I treated the Bikini Top. This truck is parked out side 24 hours a day and 7 days a week so it sees ALL the rain we get as well as a lot of wind and dirt and dust in the air. For all these reasons I wanted to get a good waterproof coating applied before the top had any dirt penetrated into the weave of the cloth.

So I grabbed my trusty and polish splatted Rebel T1i and snapped a few pictures for another thread and thought, heck might as well make this a review while I'm at it..

This is a far shot looking just past the Surfboard brackets. The water pools in 4 areas that sink down with the weight of the accumulated water but the water never penetrates into the inside of the fabric.

At the higher elevations of the top surrounding the edge of the windshield the water beads up. Either place, doesn't matter as the water never penetrates the material, it just beads up or pools.

A very nice products.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 14automobiles View Post

1. Why is there not a universal protectant for both materials?
    IF the top has a weave appearance you can use a cleaner and protectant designed for cloth or canvas tops.

IF the top looks like a vinyl seat, then you should choose a dedicated vinyl protectant.

Quote Originally Posted by 14automobiles View Post
    2. Most importantly...how do you know besides asking the owner (who usually does not know) or calling a local car dealership if the top is vinyl or fabric? It is my guess that fabric will have small little squares that can be seen in the material..but I am not certain...hence the post...LOL
    IF you poke around on this website they actually do a pretty good job of listing the types of tops most of the convertibles being manufactures have.

Welcome to the Haartz Corporation

Pretty cool website, there's also a page titled Consumer Info that educates on proper cleaning and maintaining of tops and showcases RaggTopp products.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another link to a material type guide by who else but Autogeek! Give this a click. Good info!
    Types Of Convertible Tops Fabric

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Here is another link to a material type guide by who else but Autogeek! Give this a click. Good info!

I was gone on vacation for two months, but I am back. Thanks for the links and the write up. very informative.

Post Thanks / Like

....Have I ever mentioned that Mike Phillips coming to Autogeek is one of the best things to ever happen?

I've wondered the same thing but I have yet to actually detail any convertibles.

Thanks Mike and thanks CEE DOG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dublifecrisis View Post
    ....Have I ever mentioned that Mike Phillips coming to Autogeek is one of the best things to ever happen?
    I've wondered the same thing but I have yet to actually detail any convertibles.
    Thanks Mike and thanks CEE DOG.
    Anytime!

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Warning: the following paragraphs are probably exactly what Mike P means about people on forums over analizing things that should be simple.

I've been thinking about this for awhile but never posted it. I guess adding it to here is a good a place as any.

When you wash your car if you don't have a water filter system it is a major inconvenience but in the end for the most part you can neutralize that issue with your drying process.

When you wash your fabric convertible top if you don't have a water filter system it is a different issue. Even if the fabric is well protected if water is continuously applied the outer layers do eventually absorb some water which means it also absorbs some chlorine and minerals. The chlorine for one is not good for preserving fabric. The problem is you can't just dry the chlorine off of the fabric. I would think after the water evaporates out of the top the chlorine and minerals would remain.
    An exagerated example: If you have a pool take 2 strainer nets and use them both every day. When done take one and rinse it. Put the other away without rinsing. After a couple months you will see the difference. Obviously the chlorine content is much higher in the pool but it seems quite logical to me that this is an exaggeration of the same situation. I have a water softener system but it doesn't flow from my car hose faucet. I am thinking that when I don't hook up to the garage and I am using the bad water I will start filling an extra bucket of water with water from inside (filtered). when I'm done washing the car I will pour this good water over the fabric top before drying the car.

What say everybody else?

Sky's the Limit Car Care