autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M105 Caking Up?

Post Thanks / Like

M105 Caking Up?

Lately, M105 has just been getting on my nerves. I have been having it cake up more and more on me and am curious as to why its happening. I can only assume its from lack of moisture in the compound. But after yesterday I am fed up with 105. When I was working on this yesterday...

I would apply 105 in a nice 2x2 area, and within 5-10 secs of me turning around and grabbing the buffer it would have already caked up, to where if you ran your finger through it, it was almost dust.

It did the same for 205, just not near as bad. So I tried different chemicals, and 3M 3000 Machine Polish did not seem to have a problem, or Menzerma Super Finish hor even with Ultimate Compound by hand.

Any idea why this would be happening. I figured maybe the severe oxidation in the paint, but its also happened on other vehicles I have done, that are in better condition. Now not near as bad, but enough to where I would put a coat down to buff, and then spritz it with water before buffing to get it to work in correctly.
    Last edited by Mirror Detailing; 11-30-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M105 Caking Up?

What was the temp outside? Have you kept the polish in extreme heat for storage? How old is it?
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    What was the temp outside? Have you kept the polish in extreme heat for storage? How old is it?
    Considered these things as well... Temp was about 50-55 degree's, polish is stored in my garage in a shaded area when not used., and its only about a month old.

Post Thanks / Like

just a stupid question----you were in the shade, correct?
    Robert DiTerlizzi, 772-260-6636
    Impressions Fine Automotive Detailing
    7656 SW Jack James Dr.Stuart, Fl.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had this happen nearly everytime I've used M105. I, too, have to spritz it with water just to be able to work it. Very frustrating.

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you were working outside. If you use too much or outside and and spread it around it will dry out like that. Also when you spread it out the air from the buffer will dry it out. You are going to have to make adjustments to the amount you use, also looking at the picture you are spreading it around too much so it is going to dry up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
    just a stupid question----you were in the shade, correct?
    lol very stupid question...yes I was in a garage working. been detailing to long to compound in sun light!

Post Thanks / Like

I can think of a couple things happening. 1 your pad had to much compound on it causing it to cake up. 2 if you are using a rotary or a flex da your letting the product get to hot causing it to cake up.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of if you are working in the shade.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Looks like you were working outside. If you use too much or outside and and spread it around it will dry out like that. Also when you spread it out the air from the buffer will dry it out. You are going to have to make adjustments to the amount you use, also looking at the picture you are spreading it around too much so it is going to dry up.
    Was not working outside. Also thought about the amount and to thin drying out fast from the buffer. Then also thought about like you said applying to little, so even tried the same amount in a smaller area and got the same affect.

Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    I can think of a couple things happening. 1 your pad had to much compound on it causing it to cake up. 2 if you are using a rotary or a flex da your letting the product get to hot causing it to cake up.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of if you are working in the shade.
    1. this picture was taken on the first buff after I ran the brush over the pad cleaning it out. 2. this was buffed at 1500 rpms and 1 pass, so not even time or pressure to heat the compound/paint up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post
    Was not working outside. Also thought about the amount and to thin drying out fast from the buffer. Then also thought about like you said applying to little, so even tried the same amount in a smaller area and got the same affect.

1. this picture was taken on the first buff after I ran the brush over the pad cleaning it out. 2. this was buffed at 1500 rpms and 1 pass, so not even time or pressure to heat the compound/paint up

Try a different bottle of 105 you could of got a bad bottle. The only time this has happened to me was what I posted before.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast