autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Factory oil-sanding of paint?

Hi Mike. Remember I asked this question in Dallas at Nick's class? I googled and the 1956 Lincoln continental mark II(?) got 2 lacquer coats oil-sanded. Din not find any mention of the 1975 (?) caddy seville I asked you about. Did you find any info?

Where are the benz pics?

I sure learned a lot of good stuff!

Ron

Mike Phillips

Re: Factory oil-sanding of paint?

Quote Originally Posted by ronniejay View Post
    Hi Mike. Remember I asked this question in Dallas at Nick's class? I googled and the 1956 Lincoln continental mark II(?) got 2 lacquer coats oil-sanded. Din not find any mention of the 1975 (?) caddy seville I asked you about. Did you find any info?

Hi Ronnie,

I have not found anything on oil-sanding as it relates to automotive paints, it doesn't sound right to me and a Google search only pulls up the normal topics of being careful to remove any oil, wax, grease, silicone etc from the surface before spraying paint.

I know knives are sharpened in some procedures with honing oil present, like an oil saturated sharpening stone.

All the sanding I've ever learned about was by using water wit a little soap in it, like a drop or two of soap.

I haven't had time to process and upload pictures from the GTG at Nick's shop in Dallas, Texas and at this point I'm waiting for a DVD of pictures from Cosmin, when I get them I'll try to upload some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ronniejay View Post

Where are the benz pics?

I sure learned a lot of good stuff!

Ron
    Here's a few I processed from a different thread having to do with the power of the GG ROP

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...technique.html

Swirled-out 1954 Mercedes-Benz

Cropped out of the above original

WG TSR with a Green Kompressor Cutting Foam Pad on the GG ROP Speed Setting 6.0

After

Same section only zoomed in on the Van in the reflection.

Did you ask about the 1956 Lincoln called the Titanic? If so there's some information and pictures on page 2 of this thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...detailing.html

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was not asking about the Mark II, I was stating that the Mark II came up when I googled "oil-sanded +paint". The site is:

The Classic Lincoln car, fun facts, video clips, and images

it says:

"
    Its unique frame, referred to as a "cowbelly", dipped lower than the side rails, allowing the driver and passengers to sit high, but still maintain its low elegant styled body. The intent of the 1956 Mark II was to set the standard for the top of the market luxury cars for the USA. Making money on the car was somewhat secondary, Ford Motor Company wanted to lay claim to having the Flagship of Luxury cars. In the end, Ford lost about $1,000 for every Mark II that was produced.
    Quality control on the production of the Mark II Continental was "over the top!" Every motor was assembled, dyno tested, then partially disassembled, inspected and put back together. The Lincoln Mark II was chromed in places that didn't show, but where engineers deemed it necessary. And the final finish?? The Mark II body panels were mounted on a mock up chasis, then taken off, the body was surface sealed, a primer coat of paint went on, then was hand sanded with water, then baked. Another surface coat, more hand sanding, then baked again, then two coats of lacquer color, hand oil sanded, more baking, two more coats of lacquer, hand buffing, and then polished by hand. After being inspected, re-inspected, and inspected some more, this classic Lincoln Continental Mark II was then protective wrapped in a fleece lined cloth cover, wrapped in a large plastic bag, and then sent to the dealership for delivery."

Some other mfgr must have also been doing this. How did/does Rolls/Bently paint and sand their cars?

I heard that the Ford model T's were hand-BRUSH painted. Were they sanded afterwards? Who 1st used factory spray painting?

This could turn into a book on the history of automotive painting.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great research. I hope you keep posting what you learn.

Mike is definitely an encyclopedia of modern day detailing. Maybe he will become an historian when he retires and you can give him a few tips about googling.

Have you researched if oil sanding was required before todays state of the art products were developed? Wish I had your time. If mike had no luck researching , I wouldn't even know how to start.

Great post. Wonder why the technique dropped of sight. Maybe it sounds better than it was?

Post Thanks / Like

Model T Fords were not brush painted, but were flo painted. Cars were hosed with paint, and were tilted back and forth, and the run off was reused. The final outcome was that 11 cars were painted with 1 gallon of paint. I heard that Lincoln Mark 2 were painted with hot enamel. Paint was heated to 150 degrees and sprayed hot , resulting in 1 coat coverage , no orange peel, and higher gloss. Maybe it was only some colors that were painted that way, but this was what I read.