The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

The COMET Technique for oxidized single stage paint

NOTE: The COMET technique is ONLY for oxidized SINGLE STAGE paint.

Do no try this on a modern clearcoat paint you will likely scour the finish.

Back Story
This classic Cadillac is a true survivor car with only 63,000 miles and the original paint. In fact, the body panel fitment and alignment is so even and true, I'm confident to say this car has never been in an accident. It has the original single stage white paint, which in 1965 would be some brand of enamel.

I'm leaving Wednesday morning to teach our Roadshow Car Detailing Class in Tacoma, Washington at Griot's Garage.

Roadshow Class - Tacoma, Washington - July 27th & 28th at Griot's Garage with Mike Phillips at Autogeek

So the only time I can carve out to tackle this car is early tomorrow morning. I'm going to use a secret technique that I've shared on this forum in the past to tackle this car and knock this out in lightening speed. I teach classes but I also detail cars, I think it's important for anyone that calls themselves an "instructor" to also walk the walk and even better, share their work for others to see how they tackle projects via a write-up with pictures. I have hundreds if not thousands of write-ups for the cars I've detailed and this will simply be one more for the list.

BEFORE

Iron Decontamination

The COMET Wash Technique for Oxidized Single Stage Paint

The Cheater Technique for quickly removing oxidation

Here's AFTER washing with COMET - The paint is still dull but the majority of the loose oxidation has been removed and the paint is a much brighter white color.