autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing plate g110v2 broke (My First DA 25 minutes)

There is nothing wrong with the machine. The problem is the backing plate failed. I would get a 5" LC backing plate and 5.5" pads. 7" pads are too big for any DA to spin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the machine. The problem is the backing plate failed. I would get a 5" LC backing plate and 5.5" pads. 7" pads are too big for any DA to spin.
    100%

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I knew about the backing plate problem before, as I already wasted my money on those 7" buff pads and gotta adjust to it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rauljimenez View Post
    I wish I knew about the backing plate problem before, as I already wasted my money on those 7" buff pads and gotta adjust to it now.
    Tell Meguiars you're frustrated with the problem, and ask them if they could replace the backing plate with a 5" one. Tell them you'd like to return the pads as well. Then, pick up some LC 5.5" flat pads.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rauljimenez View Post
    Mike: what do you think causes this?? what u ever had a problem with Meguiar's backing plates??

maybe I'm putting to much pressure into the pad i dont know but wow 25 minutes on it didn't handle me??
    All I know is both Meguiar's and Lake Country have recently redesigned their backing plates to improve them and make them stronger.

Here's something I posted here on this topic,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...w-version.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    We've already seen two companies re-design their backing plates to withstand more rigorous use. We've seen foam pad manufactures improve their adhesive technology to withstand more heat, chemical interaction and the violent oscillating action created by DA Polishers.

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Tell Meguiars you're frustrated with the problem, and ask them if they could replace the backing plate with a 5" one. Tell them you'd like to return the pads as well. Then, pick up some LC 5.5" flat pads.
    The Meguiar's S67DA is a one-piece construction, urethane molded backing plate and it has a good track record of reliability as does the Lake Country Backing Plates and the Edge DA-500 Backing Plate.

There's some pictures, information and clickable links to backing plates for more information here,

5" and 6" Backing Plates on 6.5" pads (Pictures to show safety margin)

Could just be a fluke that your's broke because while there is a record of these backing plates breaking it's not the norm but the exception...

Call Meguiar's, they have very good customer service...

Also, I've been using and teaching others how to use DA Polishers as long and in most cases longer than anyone in this industry and since leaving Meguiar's and coming to Autogeek I'm a huge fan of 5.5" pads for correction, polishing and even waxing.

New cars have lots of curves and thin panels and 5.5" pads fit these better than larger pads.

• Thin pads are easier to rotate

• Small diameter pads are easier to rotate

Defects like swirls, scratches and water spots are removed best when the pad is ROTATING, not merely vibrating against the paint. All of the DA Polishers on the market have an easier time keeping smaller pads rotating than they do keeping thick, large pads rotating.

Foam acts to absorb the energy/power coming out of the tool and dissipate it, thicker foam pads dissipates more power than thinner foam pads thus thinner, smaller diameter foam pads rotate better than thicker, larger diameter foam pads.

The new generation DA Polishers will rotate all our 6.5" pads, so they all work but if you had to determine on paper which pads rotate better then it's purely a physical difference between pads, not a personal opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12