autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many pads for a truck?

You only need one pad... you just want to have one on multiple polishers. lol That's how I wish I could attack every truck anyway.

The pad washer is a very important tool. I seriously don't know how I ever got along without it. Here is a review I did for it last year. After a year of using it I am SOOOOOOOO glad I finally broke down and got one. It is one of the most valuable tools in my garage as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by OCDetails; 12-04-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: fixed wrong picture showing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelranger;274701

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be correcting and getting my 08 Tahoe nice and shiny.
    My question is how may pads should I have on hand...How frequent will I need to swap to a new one?

Using Griots DA and/or Flex 3401

I'm using the Wolfgang twins
    followed by sealant
    followed by Carnuba

Here's a post I made recently here that talks about how many pads I used when using a FIRST generation Porter Cable as it didn't have the power to keep wet pads rotating under pressure.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...technique.html

When I went to buff out a 1954 Corvette for Corvette Mike I took lots of extra polishing pads because at that time the only DA style polishers available were the first generation polishers and I knew as my pads became wet with product they would stop rotating and the job would take longer. This car had an antique lacquer paint job on it so I didn't want to use rotary buffer but instead play it safe and use the PC.

I count 7 yellow polishing pads in the below picture, as one pad would quit rotating effectively I would swap it out to a clean, dry pad.

I have extensive before pictures documenting how horribly scratched, swirled and water-spotted the paint was on this car but here's a few after shots...

I'm happy to say the Griot's, the PCXP and the new G110v2 have all over come this problem and can now easily keep most pads rotating under pressure even as they become wet with product.

That said, if the paint is neglected then you're be removing impurities and a little paint and your pads will get a build-up of spent product on them, so you'll want to clean your pads as you work around the Tahoe or switch to clean, dry pads.

To clean them you can use this technique,

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

Wash them in a bucket or in a sink and rinse them out

Get a pad washer and wash them on the fly

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike this really helps. I think I'm going to take the plunge and get a pad cleaning system..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12