autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Removing tree branch scratches on the paint finish on my Toyota

If you haven't already, watch the video in post #2 here,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

In my opinion, it's my best work in sharing exactly how to buff out a car and use tools like the PC.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Mr. Phillips, for the very detailed and thorough instructions...and I agree that in this world of 200 characters you provide a level of expertise that is second to none. I am ordering the thin pads you recommended as well as some other items from the AG site. I'm hooked now on this whole topic and no car in my family is safe from detailing!

I'll follow up after I do the polishing with how it went.

thanks again,

Paul

3. Likes Icarus liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by reedap1 View Post

Thank you, Mr. Phillips, for the very detailed and thorough instructions...
    I do this as a part of Autogeek's "Customer Service". Some people call our 1-800 phone number to ask for help while others come to the forum. The good news is management has all our staff taking my 3-day class so they know what they know and then then get to know what I know.

and I agree that in this world of 200 characters you provide a level of expertise that is second to none.
    Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.

I'm the answer man and I enjoy my work, I have empathy for others wanting to learn how to detail cars because I've been there, done that. That is, I started out like everyone else and that is knowing nothing and looking for help. I should type of this part of my life, I think I shared it on TV with Dennis Gage here,

Dennis Gage interviews Mike Phillips

We've had 2 TV shows and one of the things I noticed about them is the guy on that was on our TV show is the same guy you could come to this forum and ask a question and get a real answer, I'd even say an accurate and helpful answer. You can never do this with,

Chip Foose
    Wayne Carini
    Chris Jacobs
    Dennis Gage
    Dave Kindig
    Christy Lee
    Adriane "AJ" Janic
    Bruno Massel
    Matt Steele
    Barry Meguiar
    Etc., etc., etc.,

Not that that's a bad thing, it's just they were never available to interact with the public like I do here. There was no social media touch point where you could ask Chip how to cut off the back of the rear fender to customize it to be unique? But I've always been accessible, not that I'm in the same league as any of the guys I listed above but the point being, in this world of 200 characters there are some online options to get good info from someone that will stand by their word/information. I am happy to say that after filming 2 seasons of car detailing shows with me, Adriane aka AJ, probably learned more and hopefully retained more information about car detailing tools and techniques than most of the cool cats on TV.

Especially when we detailed her very own Firebird, which was covered with contamination and filled with swirls and scratches.

I am ordering the thin pads you recommended as well as some other items from the AG site.
    Good to hear as I know you'll be able to maximize the potential of the Porter Cable using thinner foam pads and switching out often.

I also have an article on this topic that surprisingly dates back to 2010 and it's a LOT LONGER than 200 characters but the info I wrote 10 years ago is still accurate today EXCEPT - when I wrote the below article, the thin pads I recommended previously had not been invented yet. Back then I was showing what was considered THIN back then and back then they were NEW. And I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy that has an article like this back then. Lots of detailers but most don't type.

How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher

I'm hooked now on this whole topic and no car in my family is safe from detailing!
    You exemplify a pattern I've seen repeated over and over again from interactions on forums.

I'll follow up after I do the polishing with how it went.

thanks again,

Paul
    Be sure to ALWAYS start with a Test Spot. See my recent article on this topic here,

The two reasons WHY you should always do a Test Spot before buffing out any car

5. Likes mc2hill liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12