PDA

View Full Version : Washing Microfiber towels - what temp ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Whitewater25
12-31-2016, 08:23 PM
I have a bucket of microfiber towels soaking in 3D towel Kleen overnight to wash tomorrow,I will dry them on low heat but which temp do you all find is best for the wash cycle?

Mantilgh
12-31-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm hot and on high all the way through.

Some may say cold and low temp on the drying cycle. :dunno:

Typically hot water should help break down things. I've even heard of others boiling theirs in vinegar to help remove built up detergents.

Unless I find them fused to my dryer, I will continue my ways.

BMW435
12-31-2016, 08:51 PM
I have a bucket of microfiber towels soaking in 3D towel Kleen overnight to wash tomorrow,I will dry them on low heat but which temp do you all find is best for the wash cycle?

Warm or hot. Never had a problem

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Jeremy1976
12-31-2016, 09:02 PM
Always warm.

TTQ B4U
12-31-2016, 09:03 PM
I wash on hot dry on low. No need to dry them on higher temps.

KS_Detailing
12-31-2016, 09:12 PM
I wash cold and air dry

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Helltopay
12-31-2016, 09:15 PM
Wash in warm water and dry on the delicate cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

DaveT435
12-31-2016, 09:38 PM
I agree with hot to help break down residue. Double rinse with a couple tablespoons of vinegar in the first rinse. Dry on low.

kkritsilas
01-01-2017, 12:14 AM
I wash them warm, based on a few things I read and saw on the web. Mostly based on the Junkman2000's microfiber towel washing video. What it comes down to is, How hot is hot?. At 140F, the polyamide (one of the components of the "microfiber:) starts to melt. Some hot water can get that hot, especially in laundromats. So the idea is to get the microfiber as hot as possible, while not having any melting going on. Hence, warm. I air dry, but the video did say that you could put them in a dryer on cool, or air dry only. I don't want to have to deal with the effects of dryer sheet residues, so I air dry after they come out of the washer.

Setec Astronomy
01-01-2017, 11:02 AM
I'm with Mantligh, hot and high.

I wash them warm, based on a few things I read and saw on the web. Mostly based on the Junkman2000's microfiber towel washing video. What it comes down to is, How hot is hot?. At 140F, the polyamide (one of the components of the "microfiber:) starts to melt. Some hot water can get that hot, especially in laundromats. So the idea is to get the microfiber as hot as possible, while not having any melting going on. Hence, warm. I air dry, but the video did say that you could put them in a dryer on cool, or air dry only. I don't want to have to deal with the effects of dryer sheet residues, so I air dry after they come out of the washer.

This information is just false. I don't know why TRC keeps pushing this false data, I had seen them do it through Yvan at OPT, and apparently through the Junkman also. Here's a chart of melting points in degrees C: Polyamide plays an important role in automotive, electronic and packaging (http://www.plastemart.com/upload/Literature/Polyamide.asp) . The lowest melting temperature is 352 F.

I'm not sure which polyamide grade is commonly used for MF towels, but even if you look at the heat distortion temperature the lowest temperature, converted to degrees F, is 239. And if you look at Nylon 6, or 6,6, which are the most common and what I would suspect towels are made of, that heat distortion is temp is 338 and 437 F, while the melting temps are 431 and 500 F.

Eldorado2k
01-01-2017, 11:10 AM
You lost me with the three 6's... What?

I'm just kidding... Those are some interesting facts that you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone

cyclops
01-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Typically wash on warm with double rinse and dry on low. Will use hot on really dirty or the Costco towels used for grunt work.
Did the hang dry for years but really is not necessary, actually made the thicker towels stiff.

Eldorado2k
01-01-2017, 01:57 PM
I'm about to christen these new towels by washing them in cold water with just a bit of detergent and dry them on low heat for about 25-30min...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170101/5640382fdb5aee157cea65c271d2607b.jpg

But I usually wash with hot water. Dry on low.

Did the hang dry for years but really is not necessary, actually made the thicker towels stiff.

I completely agree with this.^ IME air dried towels result stiffer than heck...

Sent from my iPhone

AZpolisher15
01-01-2017, 03:32 PM
I'm with Mantligh, hot and high.
This information is just false. I don't know why TRC keeps pushing this false data, I had seen them do it through Yvan at OPT, and apparently through the Junkman also. Here's a chart of melting points in degrees C: Polyamide plays an important role in automotive, electronic and packaging (http://www.plastemart.com/upload/Literature/Polyamide.asp) . The lowest melting temperature is 352 F.

I'm not sure which polyamide grade is commonly used for MF towels, but even if you look at the heat distortion temperature the lowest temperature, converted to degrees F, is 239. And if you look at Nylon 6, or 6,6, which are the most common and what I would suspect towels are made of, that heat distortion is temp is 338 and 437 F, while the melting temps are 431 and 500 F.

Yeah, 140° melting point... it gets hotter than that in our vehicles in the summer time just sitting in the sun. I've not had a towel melt in the glove box. Yet.

Eldorado2k
01-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Yeah, 140° melting point... it gets hotter than that in our vehicles in the summer time just sitting in the sun. I've not had a towel melt in the glove box. Yet.

It doesn't get hot inside the glove box though. Lol.

But there's lots of people who use microfiber towels with their steam cleaners, and we've never heard of microfibers melting away during any of that.

Sent from my iPhone