autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to maximize the ability of the 1st Gen Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

Quote Originally Posted by aerogt01 View Post
    Mike:
    Not to dig up an old thread, however I simply must thank you for posting this.
    No problemo... it was a much needed article just because there probably millions of first generation DA Polishers in the garages across the world and after over a decade now of teaching people how to remove swirls with a tool that has a Free Floating Spindle Assemble, I know the secret is to maintain pad rotation and the limiting factor is in most cases are the size and thickness of the pads...

That's one of the reasons I've coined the term...

Thin is in...

That is the trend... watch and see as new pad technology is introduced. Mark my words.

Here's an example...

Thin is in... New Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

Two years ago I bought a PC and the Edge 6" Pad kit, and found even with proper technique it would take what seemed like forever and a day to two-step polish a Civic with soft paint. Partially thanks to this I have used the machine very little in the past 2 years.
    The Edge 6" Pads are thick, and the thickness of the foam means the foam itself is going to absorb and dissipate the power coming out of the tool. I love the true centering design of these pads, especially for use with rotary buffers but thick pads are going to reduce the ability of ALL DA Polishers that use the Free Floating Spindle Assemble to maintain pad rotation.

A note to Lurkers and Newbies to Machine Polishing
    If Lurkers or Newbies to detailing are reading this and are not sure why pad rotation is important, here's why... it's only when the pad is rotating that you're going to be able to remove swirls, scratches and water spots. If the pad is just vibrating or jiggling, you're not going to remove any defects.

There's a thread on here where I explained this to a Corvette owner trying to remove the swirls out of the clear coat on their Corvette and I told him it can be done with a first generation DA Polisher but it would be faster and easier with a new, second generation DA Polisher, either Porter Cable, Meguiar's or Griot's. He came back and vindicated what I stated.

Here's the thread...

WG TSR/FG & PC 7335 Technique

Now I know exactly what the problem was and why the pad would so easily stop rotating. Does the XP version have near as much of a problem turning a 6-6.5" pad? At this point I don't know what I would replace (machine/pads/both). I really wish I had known this when I ordered.

Thanks again!
    All the new generation DA Polishers are better at maintaining pad rotation, you probably don't want to hear this but if you are really into maintaining your car's finish and you like use a DA Polisher, I would whole heartedly recommend upgrading to a new Porter Cable 7424XP and some new pads...

The new PC is a very capable tool and with the new pad and chemical technology being introduced specific for these tools, it's going to be easier and faster to create a show car finish using only a DA Polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher

If I wanted a more aggressive setup without going nuts, I would be using 5.5" HT Cyan or thin flat Yellow/Orange pads(thin is in). M105 followed by 205 on a white or gray pad will finish very well. If you want to go OTC, UC followed by UP.
    In my experience WG twins do a nice job on swirls but are a little lacking on RIDS but that could just be my lack of technique.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Good article Mike, I'd like to add my reaction to using Meg's MF pads. I've been using them for a several months now and they have turned my old G100 (circa 1995) into a new powerhouse. I've not picked up my Makita since. I've rarely used foam since either. These pads simply are amazing in their speed and correction, IMHO. I've used them on several kinds of paint, factory as well as repaints and have reduced the time needed for correction by a ton.

From my experience with the newfound performance of my G100, I'm thinking of how good the pads must be on one of the newer DA's. Guess its time to consider a new DA, 15 years is a long time to keep any well used tool.

Thanks for the great perspective on pads and the older PC.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post

From my experience with the newfound performance of my G100, I'm thinking of how good the pads must be on one of the newer DA's. Guess its time to consider a new DA, 15 years is a long time to keep any well used tool.

Thanks for the great perspective on pads and the older PC.

I would highly recommend the new PC 7424XP, it's a much better tool than the first generation PC's and a battle tank. You can drive over it with a truck, pick it back up and get to work with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be lost without my PCxp. It never fails me and produces consistently good results. Very versatile, light weight, and under rated.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I would be lost without my PCxp. It never fails me and produces consistently good results. Very versatile, light weight, and under rated.
    I agree.

Sometimes, instead of pushing a DA to the limit, a better option would be to add another tool to a person's collection like a rotary buffer or a Flex 3401

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sometimes, instead of pushing a DA to the limit, a better option would be to add another tool to a person's collection like a rotary buffer or a Flex 3401
    That's where I'm at now. I bought my Griot's DA to use on my personal cars. Lately I've been detailing cars for my buddy who buys and sells a lot of cars and have been using my Griot's. I've been leaning towards getting a Flex 3401 because I don't feel the Griot's (or the other DA's) are designed for mass production (as discussed in a recent post).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am glad I found this thread, I am very new to polishing my own car and bought the PC 7424XP with the pick your pads, Well I guess I picked the wrong pads. I was actually getting the backward rotation Mike has talked about in the past, every time I was close to a lip like on the trunk deck lid I would get full stop on the rotation. I guess I will get some new pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I would highly recommend the new PC 7424XP, it's a much better tool than the first generation PC's and a battle tank. You can drive over it with a truck, pick it back up and get to work with it.

Mike,

Thanks for such a great article. I bought a 1st gen. PC on ebay sometime ago and just started using it as I began getting into the hobby recently. When I noticed this problem I thought maybe I bought a defective unit as it was used (you know 'hit or miss sometimes on ebay'). I just so happened to bump into your thread by chance. I'm really glad I did. I just upgraded to the XP model and me and my crazy self also went and bought a Flex XC 3401 VRG DA (notice I spelled out the whole model name, LOL). Again, thanks for your thread, knowlegde and everything else you brought to me and the whole industry. You da man!!!
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post

Mike,

I just upgraded to the XP model and me and my crazy self also went and bought a Flex XC 3401 VRG DA (notice I spelled out the whole model name, LOL).
    The Flex 3401 is a very good tool, anyone detailing cars for money should have one.

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post

Again, thanks for your thread, knowledge and everything else you brought to me and the whole industry. You da man!!!

Thanks for the kind words... I wrote this originally because I know there are millions of these first gen PC polishers in garages all around the world. Millions of cars have been successfully buffed out using them and millions more will be buffed out in the future...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast