autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are detailer's anal and critical??

Depends, some just want a clean car. I know for several years I tried the perfection thing and I got tired of it. Too hard for a driven car. Some have various levels of OCD.

2. Likes Big Dave, Don M, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    Depends, some just want a clean car. I know for several years I tried the perfection thing and I got tired of it. Too hard for a driven car. Some have various levels of OCD.
    I also tried for perfection for a long time - On BLACK, DAILY DRIVERS yet. The result was that I burned myself out badly. So bad that even the thought of logging into AG or other detailing sites nearly made me sick. I was (at that time) thinking that ANYONE who would waste so much time and energy into cleaning a CAR, had something seriously wrong with them (and not in the good, fun way).

Turns out what I needed was a break and a reality check. The reality check turned out to be accepting the fact that the harder you work towards perfection, the more flaws you will see. So you work harder and see even more flaws. It's a vicious circle that can only end one way - complete, total and unrecoverable burnout. I know this, because I was ALMOST there.

I realized that we do this to ourselves from the beginning, and most mentors are also guilty of "passing along the virus." We think (and are taught) that the "goal" is PERFECTION. This is a lie, an impossibility and to try and achieve it will only damage you and possibly the car. Think chasing that last, final swirl/scratch/imperfection and burning through the paint, NOW what have you accomplished?

Some months ago, I mentioned that I was made an Admin on a brand new detailing page on Facebook. The page is geared towards those just starting out, who are starting to develop an interest in taking caring for their cars to the next level. Most of the members don't even know the basics and have not been infected by the "Perfection Virus." I'm doing my best to protect them from getting the virus, by stressing "Enhancement" vs "Correction." Making a car significantly better than it was before, but without trying to chase perfection.

As things turned out, I am now the "owner" of the page, as the lady who started it messaged me and TOLD me she is bowing out, that it is now MY page to run as I see fit. So I stress "less is best" and "always start with the LEAST aggressive method," to accomplish what you are trying to do, and even try the least aggressive method two or three times BEFORE - SLOWLY getting more aggressive A LITTLE BIT AT A TIME to get the job done if the least aggressive method falls short.

Since I had been fighting for control of my life from work and the battle for Disability Retirement (plus the fact that it's the detailing 'off' season in Ohio), the page has been on the slow side. It's more of a sounding board for me, rather than a discussion group, so I haven't been as active lately. BUT, with things finally settling in with my retirement and detailing season getting closer, I'm going to attempt to be more active and do my best to teach improvement VS perfection, along with tips, trick and tools that I have found useful - without going overboard and at minimal expense ... I don't want to go full "Auto Geek" on them and scare them

If anyone cares, or is interested, I had the 'real' owner of the page change the name due to a name conflict (she is the only one who could do that since she MADE the page). It is now: "Detailing Basics - from the Beginning and Beyond." Like I said, if anyone really cares.

Sorry this got so long, I got up about an hour ago, I'm ready for my 3rd cup of coffee, and I'm raring to go.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it’s becoming a little less of a lifestyle and more of just a hobby. Granted my vehicles will always remain pristine. It’s just not a big deal to me to keep them that way. I have a routine that I casually walk through each time that gives me the results that I desire.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

5. Likes Wknd Dtlr, Big Dave, BudgetPlan1, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a neighbor who had a 66 Galaxie. He never let the kids touch the car except the door handles. His son has major clean car OCD.

7. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never am able to overlook a grain! It is defiantly challenging to manage my time on a customers car. I love it when I'm just not pressed for time. Than I enjoy it allot more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    I had a neighbor who had a 66 Galaxie. He never let the kids touch the car except the door handles. His son has major clean car OCD.
    Back when I was dating my wife, I had a 1989 Camaro (black of course) and I was at her house visiting. Her sister was there with my wife's niece (not quite 5 years old then) and we were all sitting outside on the front porch. It needs to be said that I was at the HEIGHT of being anal about my car and as always, it had been freshly washed and polished.

My wife's niece was kind of wandering around and started walking towards my car. I went on high alert, not reacting, but NOT taking my eyes off the darling little toddler. She walks within about a foot of my car and just stands there. My now-wife noticed the change in me and sees her niece standing right next to the Camaro. Suddenly, without warning, this darling child starts KISSING her reflection in my door! I about vapor-locked, thinking about gooey smudges and smears (in my mind, FAR worse than hand prints). Before I could even twitch, my wife grabbed me and told me in a very calm and soothing voice (like you would use with someone who is deranged and out of their mind). "She's not hurting your car, she's just giving her reflection a kiss - see she's done already and walking away."

It worked, and I was able to maintain my composure - at least until I got back home and quickly gave the car its SECOND bath of the day.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

10. Thanks DUBL0WS6 thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, Bruno Soares, bill walsh, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 4th gen Trans Am. It always bothers me when someone else rides with me and they c lose the door and leave greasy hand prints on the door or glass. I don't ever say anything but I clean it off later with some QD.

12. Likes opie, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had yelled at a friend one time for leaning on my truck...i said "it aint a tree, get the fuckk off it". He was quite supprised as im pretty laid back.

one of my biggest issues is when folks feel the need to lean on the bedside while facing the truck. Like its cool if ya wanna lean in the bed rails cuz its plastic on top...but dont let your gut scrape/rest against the bedside.

Also, Dont finger print the glass. Dont set anything on the paint.

Food goes in the trunk or truck tool box.

Yes to cleaning the wheel barrels every wash. Its funny how much i notice other peoples dirty wheel barrels after i started the habbit.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I had yelled at a friend one time for leaning on my truck...i said "it aint a tree, get the fuckk off it". He was quite supprised as im pretty laid back.

Dont set anything on the paint.
    When I was still working, I was sitting in my car waiting until it was time to go in (psyching myself out to go in, really). One of my coworkers parked next to me (at what I considered a "safe" distance), BUT when he got out of his car, he started to set his HUGE gym bag ON MY HOOD!!!!
    I took the high road, and instead of shooting him, just said: "Please Don't!" in a VERY firm voice. He actually paused a second, with his bag dangling less than an inch away from the paint, like he was trying to decide if I was serious, then HE made the smart move and pulled the bag away, setting it on the ground.

Damn, that was a close one.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

16. Likes opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    When I was still working, I was sitting in my car waiting until it was time to go in (psyching myself out to go in, really). One of my coworkers parked next to me (at what I considered a "safe" distance), BUT when he got out of his car, he started to set his HUGE gym bag ON MY HOOD!!!!
    I took the high road, and instead of shooting him, just said: "Please Don't!" in a VERY firm voice. He actually paused a second, with his bag dangling less than an inch away from the paint, like he was trying to decide if I was serious, then HE made the smart move and pulled the bag away, setting it on the ground.

Damn, that was a close one.
    Wow!!!! You sir handled that way better than i would have.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

18. Likes PaulMys, Don M liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast