autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on Swirls

Just picked up this white elantra n, and was removing some grime off the hood. I really don't know if I did this or if it was already there. I suspect I caused it by cleaning off the bug and tar remover with a towel that was not fully clean. Anyhow, I'm trying to decide if I should fix these swirls myself or just take it to someone. I don't own a polisher and Ive never done a paint correction. If I try to do it, I take it I'll need to buy a decent polisher? How many days of learning / watching videos to learn how to do it? Lastly, do I need to clay the area first? Thanks

Advice on Swirls-img-2829-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on Swirls

If that’s the only area on the car that you’re concerned with you could actually just go down to your local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a microfiber applicator and remove those scratches by hand. This time make sure to use a good microfiber towel when you wipe it off.

3. Likes PaulMys, opie, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't need clay. And you could remove them by hand like Ric pointed out above.

And you really don't need to own a $500 FLEX to remove swirls.

A simple Porter Cable would do. As far as learning to use the machine, it could not be any more simple.

Just watch any video by Mike Phillips on the subject, and you're ready to go.

And if you have any further questions, we will always be here to answer them..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes Eldorado2k, opie, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the two above on how to fix your issue.

Also just to note, if you ever decide you want to get into doing paint corrections then take YOUR TIME and do your research. Watch alot and read alot of info from mike p. He will blow your mind with the wealth of knowledge he has gained over the years. There is so many different machines/pads and abrasives out there that work better with some more than others and it will without a doubt overwhelm you for a bit. So take it all in before you just jump on the first thing you see.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

7. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on Swirls

Pay someone to do it. In the long run it will be cheaper! Advice on SwirlsAdvice on Swirls.

Kinda of joking but this hobby gets expensive. As above should be able to buff out by hand.

Or….. you could get a polisher to buff out those….. then you might as well polish whole car…. Well shoot now you gotta protect it…… we’ll if your gonna polish should decon it right…… we’ll now you gotta get an LSP to protect your coating…….. since your ordering anyways might as well try a QD and maybe another topper………

I Shoulda just paid someone Advice on SwirlsAdvice on SwirlsAdvice on Swirls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes opie, Big Dave, Honda Fan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Pay someone to do it. In the long run it will be cheaper! Advice on SwirlsAdvice on Swirls.

Kinda of joking but this hobby gets expensive. As above should be able to buff out by hand.

Or….. you could get a polisher to buff out those….. then you might as well polish whole car…. Well shoot now you gotta protect it…… we’ll if your gonna polish should decon it right…… we’ll now you gotta get an LSP to protect your coating…….. since your ordering anyways might as well try a QD and maybe another topper………

I Shoulda just paid someone Advice on SwirlsAdvice on SwirlsAdvice on Swirls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol your Speaking truth crack.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all of the advice above. Good stuff on all counts.

My one thought: It may not have been a bad rag/towel/applicator that caused the swirls. If you have really soft paint, sometimes simply touching the surface will cause some marring. A couple of years ago I was looking at my freshly polished and sealed Toyota Highlander after giveing it a good wash. On my final walk around I noticed a tiny water spot from a drip off of a side mirror. Since it was so small I just gently swiped it with my finger...and caused a mark...

Moral of the story: Stuff happens, sometimes unavoidable. Just make sure you're using the softest possible media to touch your paint.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on Swirls

Many years ago before I even knew how to spot swirls on my pearl white paint I made the mistake of trying extra hard to remove a huge bird dropping off my hood at the wash bays using their large wash mop.

It wasn’t coming off so I went extra hard until it did, unfortunately once I was done and got a good look at my hood in the sun the next day I realized I had instilled some really heavy scratches on the middle of my hood. Doh!Advice on Swirls

13. Likes opie, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I watched a guy from the local Mitsubishi dealership use the brush/broom at the car wash to pick up the suds off the ground to wash a brand new black Lancer. He said he didn't like to waste any of the suds. I didn't say anything, it wouldn't have mattered.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

15. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Many years ago I watched a guy from the local Mitsubishi dealership use the brush/broom at the car wash to pick up the suds off the ground to wash a brand new black Lancer. He said he didn't like to waste any of the suds. I didn't say anything, it wouldn't have mattered.Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    I would of lightly suggested your placing the dirt back onto the car. Some people just go through the motions, he probably never even thought of it. I assume he was a kid..?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast