autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Brand Specific Forums > Wolfgang Car Care

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Wolfgang paint sealant why have you forsaken me?

Hey guys, newb detailer here so bear with me. I broke down and bought the $80 trio 2 pack from Wolfgang and got the Swirl Remover 3.0, Glaze 3.0, and the Paint Sealant. I used the swirl remover on the whole vehicle but skipped the glaze. I then applied the sealant by hand, let it set on the vehicle for 45 minutes, buffed it off with a microfiber towel, and then let my truck set in the garage overnight for 12+ hours.
Well, this weekend, we got about 2.75" of rain in about 6 hours and the water spots on my vehicle are horrendous. It's almost as if they're etched into the paint. I'm kind of disappointed. What went wrong?
Hood

Roof

Any help on this detailing experts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 05-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
bmwgalore

Re: Wolfgang paint sealant why have you forsaken me?

Two articles for you:

How To Remove Sprinkler Water Spots

How to remove water spots by hand

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
bmwgalore

Try a quick detailer on those spots. Maybe the sealant is holding up well underneath that stuff.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Try rewashing, and if that doesn't work clay then use the Finishing Glaze to remove the spots.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

Talking about wg dgps I had similar problem
I fully polished a black car with po85rd
Laid 2 coats of wg sealant each layer cured over 12 hours before another
Had a layer of fuzion on top

Parked outside for one night
I believe sprinkler system is on every morning
Next morning I go look at the car
There is water spots all over

I have no clue what the hell is going on...
I thought sealant is suppose to repel water spots from forming?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

Did you clay the car? Im not an "expert", but if it was me I would wash the car and see if the spots just wipe off. Its possible there was something odd in the rain/atmosphere like fallout or acid rain, maybe more possible if it rained very hard. Do other silarly colored cars in your area have the same spots? Or, where you parked under a tree or awning where hard rain brought some residue down with it? After I washed it, I would top the sealant with a good Carnuba. Maybe the surface wasn't prepped right and the sealant didn't take in all areas?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

You can try something like Duragloss Water Spot Remover. It may work.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #8

Are you sure those water spots weren't there before you put on the sealant? The reason I ask is, 1) there are swirls on the roof so maybe the TSR didn't remove everything, and 2) those water spots aren't the size and shape I'd expect from WGDGPS.

A sealant won't eliminate water spots. Since the water is beading, it may actually make it worse.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber08 View Post
Hey guys, newb detailer here so bear with me. I broke down and bought the $80 trio 2 pack from Wolfgang and got the Swirl Remover 3.0, Glaze 3.0, and the Paint Sealant. I used the swirl remover on the whole vehicle but skipped the glaze. I then applied the sealant by hand, let it set on the vehicle for 45 minutes, buffed it off with a microfiber towel, and then let my truck set in the garage overnight for 12+ hours.
Well, this weekend, we got about 2.75" of rain in about 6 hours and the water spots on my vehicle are horrendous. It's almost as if they're etched into the paint. I'm kind of disappointed. What went wrong?

Hood

Any help on this detailing experts?
Sorry you're disappointed and there's nothing more discouraging that spending 8 hours or more laboring over your pride and joy and see water spots....

Sealants add a protective barrier between the finish and what mother nature dishes out. While sealants do protect they unfortunately do not eliminate water spotting...

Water spots appear after the water evaporates leaving behind minerals, dust, and what ever else the water droplet attracted.

Sealants not only protect the finish they also make water spots somewhat easier to remove using a rinseless wash, a waterless wash, or possibly a detail spray..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette
Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #10

I am going to go ahead and ask the obvious

Have you tried fully washing the car?

If so, I am going to guess you were parked under a tree or something...