autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Show 'N Shine: Porsche Panamera (Part 1) How to clean and protect wheels like a Boss!

The title of the thread is a little self-indulgent so please don't think I am that conceded. Just to be honest, that is the only title that came to mind LOL!

I recently did a paint correction/coating on a 2013 Porsche Panamera which involved multiple steps and procedures, so instead of having one enormous thread with TONS of pictures I thought it would be fun to break them down in multiple "satellite" Show 'N Shine projects. Our first order of business was to remove the wheels for a complete wheel off cleaning, correction and coating, so let's start there.

DISCLAIMER: For those not in the habit of taking wheels off, please make sure to read and understand the manufacturer torque specs. This is a major liability!!!!

The Disassembly Process:

As you can see, the wheels were taken off BY HAND! The main reason is to avoid burnishing or scarring the lug and wells with an impact wrench. The socket was properly wrapped and care was taken to keep all the lugs together with the wheel they came off of. Take your time and be smart in your preparation and procedures. Nobody is above a wrench slip, and those are expensive!

The Inspection Process:

As you can see, these wheels were covered in brake dust and had nice blobs of tar everywhere. One thing that was hard to show with a pic was the surface scratches in the clear. I do have a picture to share after the clean up.

The Wash/Decon Process:

The wash process started with a nice power washing.

Then came the IronX decontamination of the face, spokes (front and back), and inner barrel and tar removal using TarX

Inspection following the wash and decon revealed face, spoke and barrel scratches. It is hard to see but the darker portion of the inner barrel (on the left of the picture) shows fine scratches

The Polishing Process:

Test spots demonstrated that Menzerna PF2500 on a 3.5" CarPro Flash Pad (using my GG6 fitted with a 3" backing plate) did wonder on getting rid of those unsightly scratches. did destroy my Flash Pad in the process . Those grooves in the inner barrel as well as the sharper edges of the spokes did not show mercy. All tight corners and hard to reach places were hand polished.

Some hard labor but the results do speak for themselves though!!

The Inner Fender and Caliper Process:

Sorry for the lack of pretty pictures but this is pretty simple. Soap solution, APC, brake cleaner + a variety of brushes did wonders for those suspension parts and calipers, as well as for the plastic and fabric fender inserts. The rotors were treated with Hydes Serum Ruststopper. This is done to prevent flash rust from forming as you are detailing all those rust prone parts

After proper decontamination with a generous Erasor wipedown we coated the plastic inner fenders and caliper with CarPro DLUX. On the other hand, we experimented using 303 fabric protectant on the fabric inner fenders as a means to repel some of the dirt and grime. Only time will tell if we were geniuses or just plain fools

The Coating of the Wheels Process:

The customer selected our highest Finest package which included using CQuartz Finest on the wheels as well. The results were stunning!

And that's it folks!!! After all this work the wheels were re-installed (BY HAND!) using the torque specs provided by Porsche, and the car was lowered back to the ground.

As always, I appreciate comments, questions and even suggestions.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show 'N Shine: Porsche Panamera (Part 1) How to clean and protect wheels like a Boss!

Not only an incredible detailer, you're a mastermind, Claude.

The title is great, made me laugh (good manner) while my jaw broke reading and watching the pictures. Awesome,

Sure, you're The Boss!

Looking forward part 2, 3, 4, ...

Have a wonderful day,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show 'N Shine: Porsche Panamera (Part 1) How to clean and protect wheels like a Boss!

Hi Claude...

A Very Nice wheel detail!
    A nice read as well.

Thought I'd share this Panamera-picture I took this weekend:
    It could use a really thorough going-over by you.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

As always excellent/amazing work DR pain or should I say DR perfection

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Claude your the BOSS!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

As always, A+ work my friend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just think how easy it's going to be keeping those puppies clean!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Claude, impeccable attention to detail. Those wheels looks fantastic now.

Really liking the idea how you broke this massive job up into dedicated threads showing what was specifically accomplished. As you mentioned, this route will break up a thread with a million pictures.

BTW, great idea using some 303 on the fabric liners. I don't think you wasted anything here.

Can't wait to see the rest of this job.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing work

I can't believe you corrected the inner barrels!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Not only an incredible detailer, you're a mastermind, Claude.

The title is great, made me laugh (good manner) while my jaw broke reading and watching the pictures. Awesome,

Sure, you're The Boss!

Looking forward part 2, 3, 4, ...

Have a wonderful day,

Kind Regards.
    Dang it Rafael, now I have to do more than 4 installments LOL! Thank you my friend. Always fun to read your remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Hi Claude...

A Very Nice wheel detail!
    A nice read as well.

Thought I'd share this Panamera-picture I took this weekend:
    It could use a really thorough going-over by you.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. This one Panamera may have landed me another one soon

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    As always excellent/amazing work DR pain or should I say DR perfection
    James, Dr. Perfection I am not. I have much much much to learn before coming close to being in Dr. Mike Philips' caliber who is truly Dr. Perfection

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    Yep, Claude your the BOSS!
    Thanks bud! I guess the title was a product of reading too many FB posts LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    As always, A+ work my friend!
    Thank you for the compliment. Hopefully the rest of the installments will be of the same caliber

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    Just think how easy it's going to be keeping those puppies clean!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Eric, this is the ONE thing I can't wait to see. I picked up the maintenance account on it so I will see her again soon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Wow Claude, impeccable attention to detail. Those wheels looks fantastic now.

Really liking the idea how you broke this massive job up into dedicated threads showing what was specifically accomplished. As you mentioned, this route will break up a thread with a million pictures.

BTW, great idea using some 303 on the fabric liners. I don't think you wasted anything here.

Can't wait to see the rest of this job.
    Thanks Mike!! Have you ever used 303 on those fabric liners. I research a little and just decided to pull the trigger. Sugarcane season is upon us down South so it will be interesting to see if my experimentation will pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    Amazing work

I can't believe you corrected the inner barrels!
    I sure did! For 2 reason. #1 because it looks better and more finished and #2 (more importantly) it assured me that I had the best possible substrate to coat (ie. contaminant free).

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast