autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionDetail View Post
    Hey man what did u use to apply the coating?
    Back when i used my Tuf shine, i used their orange applicator and i kept getting air bubbles here and there and it looked super bad.... I notice if i dont smooth it out and leave a "High spot" they will turn into a air bubble or some sort....
    The only way to apply TS is with a brush IMO. I use the Carrand Applicator Brush. You can see it in the picture with the gallon of TS Cleaner and the supplies above.

If you use that orange sponge, it tends to leave little orange tid-bits on the tires. The other thing is every time I use anything foam, I have to clean it. The brush can be easily cleaned with IPA & water. I keep 2 of those brushes, 1 for regular dressings and 1 for TS. Also, you can brush the coating into all the patterns on the tire face with the brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Tires Tuff Shined !

Tuff tire shine is awesome. I tested it last year on my daily with amazing results. Like many have said and will say the key is to have a completely clean surface. Fortunately for me I've had new tires both times I have tested tuff. I recently used mothers all wheel and tire cleaner and man it's awesome for tire cleaning. I've used the tuff cleaner many many times and I've found it can be tricky to work with for some reason but the mothers was so easy and it's foaming was great. Saw the brown lift off on initial contact just like tuff. Anyways on my original test I think I got about 3-4 months of shine on my tires. This was on a car that is daily driven, left outside 24/7, driven 370+ miles a week, and only saw automatic car washes. No pressure wash, soap, or anything of the sort. Obviously by the end the level of shine had decreased but anyone could tell it had some type of tire shine on them. Currently I am testing on my new daily and it's been holding up in same conditions just now it only gets pressure washes. As soon as I hit it with the pressure washer the dirt on the clear coat comes flying off and the tires shine comes up a little bit. Seriously doubt there is anything better in terms of longevity and a little does go a long way so price isn't a big issue at least to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    You should've taken your center caps off before going.
    That's what I do if I'm worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I was thinking about new center caps anyway. There is another style cap that fits with a chrome emblem I've been looking at. Now I have a good reason to get them.
    I'm worried more about damage to the wheel than the caps...the caps are a lot easier to replace and don't corrode!

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Wow that looks incredible! I think you just persuaded me to get on the tuff shine bandwagon and get away from the conventional tire dressings.
    Yeah, I'm going to give it a go if I can ever use up my conventional dressings...although I'm thinking how good it would be for the backs of the tires that only get cleaned/dressed at tire rotations.

Oh, and Swanic...new tires?? I hope this doesn't mean there was a bad ending to the 10-yo spare tire story...I'm almost afraid to bring it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice! Seems like a hell of a process, I think I would screw it up.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Oh, and Swanic...new tires?? I hope this doesn't mean there was a bad ending to the 10-yo spare tire story...I'm almost afraid to bring it up!
    It blew up at 70mph. I veered into the other lane and killed a few people, but more importantly, me and my car didn't get a scratch!

j/k. Actually that tire was the only one I kept. I replaced the others because they were worn. That circa year 2000 tire is back where it came from, on the spare rim. It served me well.

The TS is a lot of work, but again, you only do it once. After that, tire maintenance just involves topping the coating whenever you feel like it. You will never have to scrub a tire again. It makes the sidewall of the tire like cleaning a painted panel.

Mike Phillips

The TS is a lot of work, but again, you only do it once. After that, tire maintenance just involves topping the coating whenever you feel like it.

You will never have to scrub a tire again.

It makes the sidewall of the tire like cleaning a painted panel.

I agree with the above.

I actually use a spray detailer and a microfiber towel to simply wipe the sidewalls of my tires clean. It's almost like working on a painted panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I agree with the above.

I actually use a spray detailer and a microfiber towel to simply wipe the sidewalls of my tires clean. It's almost like working on a painted panel.

Good idea, but I'm always concerned there could be a trace amount if silicone in something that could affect the coating. However, in real life it hasn't panned out as a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Didnt know about cutting it 1:1, is that from the manuf. or experience? What does the concentrate that states 1:1 get cut to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff120 View Post
    Didnt know about cutting it 1:1, is that from the manuf. or experience? What does the concentrate that states 1:1 get cut to?
    It's from my experience and it was mentioned once by TS. Still works awesome, especially with a foaming sprayer.

Mike Phillips

Good idea, but I'm always concerned there could be a trace amount if silicone in something that

Yeah.... trace amounts of silicone keep me up at night...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast