autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ferrari 458 Italia Tag Team Paint Correction by Unique and Tru Shine Detailing

I was invited up to Bristol VA by my good friend David Purser of Unique Mobile Detailing to help work on this Ferrari 458 Italia. Surprisingly, with only 600 miles on the car, these cars do not get delivered to the customer in perfect condition. There were lots of paint defects and sand scratches and buffer trails all over the car. This car received a full paint correction and a quick interior clean up, so with that being said, let's get this write up going.

We pulled the car outside to see what exactly we were working with. In these pics you can see all of the holograms and buffer trails not only on the black, but you can see them on the while also.

buffer trails on the roof

also on and around the doors

So for the Wash process, it's always good to start with cleaning the wheels first. This will help prevent water from just setting on the paint surface increasing the chances of causing water spots on the paint and glass.

First the wheels were pre-rinsed to dislodge and loose debris

Then we Used some Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner to clean the wheels. This is a pH balanced wheel cleaner that is safe for all types of wheels and brakes and when sprayed on the wheels, it will activate with the iron particles and turn to a red color letting you know it is working.

after the wheel cleaner was left to dwell for a few minutes, we then agitated them with various wheel brushes such as the EZ detail brush and the Swissvax brush to get deep into the wheels and all the tight areas.

Next we pre-rinsed the car down making sure that all loose debris were knocked off, this helps make sure your not grinding anything into the paint when washing.

as you can tell from the water beading, there was some type of protection on the car, so it is a important step to remove all of this, so we will get a Tru correction later when the car is buffed on.

To strip the protection off of the car, we used a mixture of Dawn Ultra concentrate and some Degreaser mixed in the Foam canon.

Then all crevices were agitated

Then the car was washed using 100% sheep skin wash mitts and the two bucket method with Grit Guards in the each bucket.

Then the car was rinsed

but beading was still there, So we gave it one more foam bath with extra foam this time letting it dwell for a short time

This time we got what we were looking for, no water beading

Next we pulled the car back into the garage

"I don't know what's worse, running out of M105 or running out of toilet paper" -Dave Saunders

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ferrari 458 Italia Tag Team Paint Correction by Unique and Tru Shine Detailing

While David was using the Metro Air Force Blaster to get all of the water out of the cracks and crevices, I dried off the car using a micro fiber towel.

Next we clayed the car using Clay Magic Blue Fine Clay

Then we began to tape it up

Just to make sure the paint was safe and thick enough to buff on, we took Paint thickness measurements all over the car, The average was about 9mils thick all over. which let us know we had plenty of room to work with.

Now that she is all taped up, we can began

here are some of the swirls and defects found using our Brinkmans Swirl finder light.

Testing out the new Meguiars DA system (Which worked amazingly)

great correction was achieved

For the Correction process, I used the Griot's 6in DA with the Meguiars DA system and David chose the Flex 3401.

here are some more of the buffer trails and holograms that came from the factory....

here is a hard to see 50/50 shot

and here it is after the cutting disc and D300

we had the music going and we were getting in the zone!

Here are some sand scratches left behind from the factory. These were on the rear lower side skirt on the passenger side.

After being buffed out.

"I don't know what's worse, running out of M105 or running out of toilet paper" -Dave Saunders

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ferrari 458 Italia Tag Team Paint Correction by Unique and Tru Shine Detailing

The rear quarter panel had some really bad sand marks

I had to use the Surbuff pad and Meguiars M105 to remove the heavier sand marks.

While i was doing that, David was working on the rear

The owner had asked us if we could do anything about some paint flaking off near the rear air vent

The passenger side was fine but the driver side flaked off a little bit for some reason. This is what it is saposed to look like

So to fix it, I taped off a straight line and added some black touch up paint.

Then removed the tape......and walla! Cant even tell a difference.

After the Polishing stage, We pulled the car out side to check it over.

Then we brought it back inside and applied some Black Fire Wet Diamond on a Blue LC pad

While David was Doing that, I applied some Rejex to the wheels.

We left the BFWD to cure for a bit while we cleaned up the inside, we did a quick Vacum and Wipe down with some 303

Then it was time to wipe off the BFWD and polish on the tips

Then backed it out for the Final Pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Bonus pics:

The Boss is home!

Thanks For Viewing, and Stay tuned for some 911 turbo and R8 Spyder action.....

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this over on tid, you also did one of the Audi's in that garage. Is the owner going to have you cleanup all his cars? I could only dream of owning one of those, let alone having an entire garage filled with that beautiful cars!
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    I saw this over on tid, you also did one of the Audi's in that garage. Is the owner going to have you cleanup all his cars? I could only dream of owning one of those, let alone having an entire garage filled with that beautiful cars!
    Yes, I have a lot more in store...., audi, porsche, bently, Green R8, I am currently finished with all of these, just gotta put together the wirte ups. Unfortunately TID is gone, so I am moving here to AGO.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!

Post Thanks / Like

good work as always Eric! good to see you here on Autogeek as well!
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

Great work, such a lovely car, can't believe for the price of them how bad they come out the factory!

That green R8 is the sex!

Post Thanks / Like

Man nice work!! As mentioned before, I can't believe the amount of mess ups that came from the factory on such an expensive car!

Nate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast