autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Temperature question

A quick question about temperature. My part of the country is slowly getting colder each day now. It's 55-65 now and will be getting colder as winter approaches. Can I apply wax and polish in these temps?
    02 F-150 FX4. Got the goodies on the inside so the dings, dents and scratches are next. Still tuning for power. What gas mileage?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Temperature question

Having a garage makes it easier for me.
    I use a portable kerosene heater to get to temperatures that seem to work for me.

A rough guide from my experience. (In the garage, no wind)

60+ - Everything seems to work good

50 to 60 - Most products seem to work adequately, but drying times are longer and I seem to get some streaking with some products.

32 to 50 - I pretty much stick to just washing.

FWIW, I use rinseless and waterless washes so I don't have to worry about frozen hoses or ice on the driveway.
    Using warm/hot water for the rinseless wash solution has really helped. It is more comfortable for me and I think does a much better job of cleaning.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

I would love those temps ... waxing in 95 degree weather and high humidity is a bugger. You should be fine under you get to under 50 and presume your fingers/hands will start to feel rather cold.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I do have an unheated garage. I've lived in this area all my life and look fwd to the temp change. Blowing snow is not like cutting the grass and there's no bugs. So it looks as if I have a limited amount of time to do anything. I'm still recuperating from a knee replacement and hoped I was hoping to be at least able to do something. As far as washing I have a $3 wash close by I go to when I need it.
    02 F-150 FX4. Got the goodies on the inside so the dings, dents and scratches are next. Still tuning for power. What gas mileage?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about some of the nicer waxes sold here, but two years ago, before I was into AG, I waxed my car at about 35* outside using some Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. It worked just fine and looked just as good as when it was done in the summer.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I used some Fuzion on my wife's car earlier this year and it was a bit under 40* at the time and it worked just fine as well. I just found the pics and there was still a bit of snow on the ground at the time, so it was plenty cold LOL
    1982 Olds Cutlass - my summer toy.
    1999 Suburban - Black of course!
    2002 Bonneville - The Mutt, a mix of everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Which matters the most, the air temperature, or the surface temp of the car? A dark car in the sun will be warmer than the air around. Isn't it really the car temp that has the most affect on the product?

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about making a thread about temperature questions, now that it's getting colder out...

How about product storage? Will products be alright in an unheated garage? We only heat our pole barn when we're using it, and that's where I keep my cleaning products. I've seen that some people keep their waxes in the fridge, so they should be fine. But are there certain things that could have issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Veo View Post
    I was thinking about making a thread about temperature questions, now that it's getting colder out...

How about product storage? Will products be alright in an unheated garage? We only heat our pole barn when we're using it, and that's where I keep my cleaning products. I've seen that some people keep their waxes in the fridge, so they should be fine. But are there certain things that could have issues?
    Paste waxes in the fridge is fine. Leaving it outside will make it freeze which is not good. I bring all my waxes and polishes inside for the winter. It's not worth risking the extra expense to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Next project is to bring them in. For the cost of heating it I could let the stock freeze.