autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Major overspray removal project

This is a interesting project so I figured I would post it and show some mid-project pics.

Anyways, around 4 pm I get a call from a very frantic sounding guy thats a general contractor. His company was painting a hotel today, It just happened to be a windy day and the paint completely covered one of the hotel guests car with tons of little gold dots.

the paint was all over the body, windows, rims, in the door jambs..basically into every little crevice it could find.

I originally declined the job because it was starting to get late for that kind of work and I had just sent my employee home after a full 8 hour day. The contractor however really wanted to at least get the vehicle started on today so the paint didn't full bake itself on to the car and offered a very nice sum of money. I called my employee back to work and worked on the car until about 9:30p. When I had first got to the car the overspray had been on for about 9 hours.

I have a few more things to finish on the vehicle but I got some mid-project pics for you guys.

Should have come completed photo's by Saturday or Sunday

Before pics: it's not dirt...all overspray... Hood of car

Closer shot of hood:

Fender:

Another pic with some clay work done and to show the windows, notice the gold colored tint they appear to have....

Glass after clay and polishing:

Closeup of the part that was hardest to remove the overspray from..Trim:

Car after claying and some polishing:

Still have more polishing, buffing, waxing and interior work to do. The contractor agreed to pay to have the entire car detailed inside and out. The plastic trim was bar far the hardest part, it was not smooth plastic trim. After some experimenting though, a synthetic wool type pad seemed to work well and brought the trim back to new.

Also found out from the hotel that another car was covered with paint, so I might have another one to do, will have to wait and see though...

Will post some finished pics soon.
    Last edited by quicknclean; 07-12-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Major overspray removal project

Were you able to remove it 100% from the soft rubber seals & textured plastic trim? Did you ever try a solvent before going to clay? Looks like a pretty concentrated mist.

Post Thanks / Like

nice of you to help, even with the extra $$, hopefully they will send referrals. Sounds like you have most/all of the overspray now under control.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

All the paint came completely off the soft rubber seals and plastic trim. Yeah it was a very heavy mist, definitely the most and hardest claying I have ever done.

Funny thing, now that the car is repaired and even though while on the phone that night the contractor guy said "I didn't care what it cost to get it done tonight", he is now complaining about the bill.

Although I charged a bit higher then what the local shop quoted, I had to pay my employee both overtime and double-time, among other things. But honestly I don't know why the contractor was complaining, the guy got his car repaired that night while he was able to relax in his hotel room and I got it finished in time for him to go out for dinner, not to mention I made sure he was completely satisfied with the work done before I left.

I didn't actually get the finish waxing the car, apparently the hotel guest was a evacuee from the local fires and went back to check on his house. I contacted the guy and he said was a few spots I missed so next time he is in the area I said I would meet up with him to fix anything I missed and finish the rest of what I said I would do.