autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    You need some nitrile gloves sir. You make it down to seattle PM me if you feel like doing a lunch or such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the invite and the next time we are in the area I will take you up on lunch or something

I love nitrile gloves for about 5 minutes and then I have sweated in them so much they are squirmy and squishy and all I want is to get them off

In Hawaii it was comical, I could take one off and pour a 1/4 cup of water (sweat) out of the glove

Even in Alaska I can't wear them

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Working on an older Chevy Silverado today. Chrome wheels, they’re hammered with stains.

0000 Steel Wool & plain water as lube.
    You're a miracle worker with that stuff!

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I decided to do a tyre rotation on the Qashqai today, and of course it's an opportunity to get inside the wheels.
    That's what I do during rotation, of course my being so "OCD" about it always turns a simple rotation into a huge project, I used to just dress the inside of the tires, now I do a coating. And of course cleaning the back of the spokes, etc.

I also discovered that the space saver spare only had 12.5 psi in it, it's supposed to be 60, it's never been used.
    Thanks for the reminder, I really need to do that on all the cars under my umbrella.

The most frustrating part of today, getting all the little black plastic nut caps back on, is there a special trick to it that I'm not aware of?
    Are you talking about something over the lug nuts?

6. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chilly--wheels look good, mountains look good, Perl looks really good. Someday I have to try my little sample bottle.

8. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Chilly--wheels look good, mountains look good, Perl looks really good. Someday I have to try my little sample bottle.
    Thanks, I like the Megs HCW as a base and then I have a spray bottle of the HCW and distilled water at 1:3 that I spritz and rinse after maintenance wheel washes, and it rejuvenates and extends the life of the HCW base coat

One day I will finally embrace a real ceramic wheel coating but I will likely try the watered down HCW as a "topper" anyway

I thought I ordered a 500 ml size Perl just to try when I was on the last of my ancient bottle of 303, but I guess I actually ordered the liter bottle, so I shouldn't run out in this lifetime

Perl at full strength seems way too thick for even tires and the normally seen tire dressing ratio of 1:1 seemed too thin so I settled on 2:1 Perl/water and I think that suits me the best

At times it doesn't go on smooth and even and seems splotchy until you buff it out with a MF and then it levels and comes out very uniform

There was a bit of a learning curve and I think deep cleaning anything that had 303 on it is essential
    1:3 Perl/Water seems to be the hot ticket for engine compartments and 1:5 Perl/water is great for interior use

10. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about something over the lug nuts?
    Yeah, these little sh1ts, they even give you a tool to remove them with, but that's no help getting them back on with my fat fingers.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

12. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, these little sh1ts, they even give you a tool to remove them with, but that's no help getting them back on with my fat fingers.
    That's weird. Seems like the kind of thing that would go right in the bin once a dealer or tire shop worked on it. Just like every person I've ever talked to that had an exhaust heat shield problem and went anywhere (including the dealer), the heat shield went in the trash rather than being reinstalled.

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    I had a vehicle once (can't remember which one) that had lug nuts with a thin chromed metal sleeve over the lug nut just about like yours but they were kind of crimped in at the base so the sleeves were "permanent"

Except about the 3rd time you took them off and on that metal sleeve got distorted and you had to tap the socket on the nut with a mallet and then fight it to get it out of the socket

But when you got mad and took aviation shears and cut them all off without trying it on one first, you found out they were then a non SAE and non Metric size and you didn't have a socket that would fit them anymore

Ask me how I know

16. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    But when you got mad and took aviation shears and cut them all off without trying it on one first, you found out they were then a non SAE and non Metric size and you didn't have a socket that would fit them anymore

Ask me how I know
    My recollection was that it was a metric size with the stainless was on the outside, and then imperial after it came off, at least on the Chevy I had.

18. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My recollection was that it was a metric size with the stainless was on the outside, and then imperial after it came off, at least on the Chevy I had.
    Maybe that was it, I had a few Chevys over the years

Maybe I just didn't have the correct socket

It has been decades, that much I remember (or don't remember as the case may be)

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast