autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Started on the SEMA cars yesterday

These should be fairly quick jobs. They weren't in terrible condition to begin with. They change out the decals on the car every couple years, so they had just removed those and left a lot of adhesive on the car. The goal was to make sure the surface of the car was the same since the new decals aren't going in the same spot. The fact that these cars are white makes it really hard to provide before and after pictures, so hopefully these do the trick.

I've got them all polished and ready for new decals to go on today. Then I'll seal over the top of everything. It didn't make any sense to make the surface too slick so the decals wouldn't stick properly. The plan is to apply Wolfgang Paint Sealant and then use Pinnacle Souveran on some of the body lines. I've had really good results getting artsy like that in the past on white cars. the WRX has some awesome body lines that will really pop when done this way.

Say what you will about the body style of the FRS, but what I can tell you is that it is a pain in the neck to polish. Literally. lol Lots of very strange curves and very tight spots to work with. Those flying nun canards are really awkward. That is probably the most impractical body kit I've ever seen on a car, but practicality isn't the point. It's showing off what the company does and there are plenty of people who dig that sort of thing I guess. The supercharger on the WRX in combination with the turbo is likewise kind of impractical, but it is an exhibition car just like the FRS. It's like those cars that have 35 TVs all over the place just showing off what the shop can do.

The engines are all done and ready to go. The biggest challenge I have with cars in shows like this is that I want every spec to be gone. If you can see it then you can clean it. That's my motto. I hate walking around SEMA and seeing dirty engine bays. These have to look spotless or else I'm just adding to the problem. Fortunately these cars don't see much road time, so they aren't all that dirty. I cleaned the painted surface and then shined up everything else. I went back over the engine with a dry towel to make sure there weren't any drips or spots I missed. I'm pretty confident that anybody looking at these engines will swear they just rolled off the factory floor. The WRX engine is kind of something unique so I know it will draw some attention and I want to make sure it looks good. The camera made it look kind of grey, but it is as black as the FRS engine.

Today they are getting stickers on them and I have another job this evening, so they'll have to wait till tomorrow to get the interiors and wheels done. Since I'll be at the show I told them I'd stop by in the morning or afternoon to clean off the drool that these will surely be covered in. The 'detailers' SEMA has available for exhibitors are absolutely terrible. These cars deserve better than a quick once over with a car duster and to be sprayed with glass cleaner everywhere before they are wiped down with a gritty towel that is used on EVERYTHING including wheels. Should be fun! Stay tuned for Day 2 on these cars in a couple days.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Started on the SEMA cars yesterday

Oh shoot, SEMA...next week already.

Is that your shop Anthony? Or theirs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Started on the SEMA cars yesterday

It's their shop. They are moving locations and this is the last bay they have to clear out. I think they are just waiting to be finished with these cars so they can move the last of it all over to their new location.