autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

La Bella Putana: 1977 Alfa Romeo Iniezione

La Bella Putana indeed. This gorgeous red Alfa Romeo was slated to get dressed in her best...her Finest in fact. I made an interesting discovery during my journey with this car that I'll share shortly. This was to be and inside and out job, although I did not shoot the inside. This car is a re-paint from many years ago but the paint was in good shape and had lots of it. Let the fun begin!

Here it is as it arrived to me:

She had the perfect plate:

I thought the bumpers were rubber like the old Porsche's at first glance, but it turns out they were metal and were painted in a flat black colour:

The paint on this car turned out to be a big challenge:

First up as always was the wheels. I went to my BAM wheel cleaner and sprayed it on dry and let it dwell and then agitated. I actually found a car on which I could use the smallest of my set of three wheel woolies. I swear I have never used it before, but it was perfect for getting into the channels of the wheel. I then used Zep Citrus on them and 3D Pink soap. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505 and the wells with LATA.

The top was cleaned with a wash mitt and Pink soap as well and the rest of the car got the same. It was then brought inside and was clayed with a clay towel.

Now it was time to play with some paint! The hood was badly and deeply swirled. I used Shine Supply Chop Top again and definitely needed that level of cut. It was combined with a TB black wool pad. That was followed up with a yellow B/S pad + M205. I then did one step further than usual and followed that stage up with Essence + CarPro Gloss Pad. All polishing was done with my 3401.

I was happy with the results I was getting and had done the hood and front fenders. Then I moved onto the driver's door and discovered this on my TB wool pad:

Single stage paint! Are you kidding me? It seems the front half of this car was painted in base/clear and the back half with single stage paint. How the Hell does that make any sense? The SS paint was a PITA to polish and coat. I forgot how much I disliked it. It corrected easier than the B/C, but I don't like the mess it makes of everything.

Once polished, the wheels and paint and side glass were treated to a double coat of CQF. The windshield was double coated with Fly By 30. The exhaust tips were coated too. The convertible top was treated with DG 342. The interior was vacuumed, wiped down with a damp mf with ONR and then the leather surfaces were treated with UIGP. I hand polished the wooden steering wheel. I regret not shooting that. It was sealed with a DG beta product I had. The tires were shot with OB from my air gun. Be forewarned, I shot lots of pics of it as I was both proud of it and also when I first took the shots it was cloudy, but then the clouds broke and it really showed it off, so I shot some more.

Here she is, 20 hours later all done:

Reflection of cloudy skies above:

Two with the top down:

This was a very cool car to work on and I felt honoured to have the chance to do it. As always, comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: La Bella Putana: 1977 Alfa Romeo Iniezione

Awesome little car. Great job bringing it back to showroom condition

Post Thanks / Like

Phenomenal work on that little roadster Richy! Impeccable!

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Richy!

Post Thanks / Like

Stellar work Richy!

Interesting combo used there Richy, was there any difference in results during the 205 & Essence steps being that part of the car was SS or nothing to note? Was Essence used as a visual "gloss enhancer" & if so - after 205 was there a marked improvement Richy? Or was Essence used as a primer for Finest?

Results are phenomenal Richy, actually looks quite at home parked there too mate. Great post, thanks for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

great job Richy

Post Thanks / Like

It's a beautiful thing that you did richy. Great job as always.

Strange that part of the car was base coat/clear coat and part was single stage paint.

I am also interested in your answer to Aaryn NZ's post.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that car here in the US as simply an Alfa "Spider"; was it only called Iniezione in Canada? Oh, wait, I just looked that up and apparently that means "injection" in Italian, so I guess it's fuel injected, and I guess it was a "Spider Veloce" here. Anyway, thanks for the memories--particularly those Pirelli P77 tires which I had a set of a hundred years ago--one of the first all-season tires, and had an asymmetric tread pattern: https://books.google.com/books?id=yS...%20P77&f=false

Great job as usual, Richy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haris300 View Post
    Awesome little car. Great job bringing it back to showroom condition
    Thanks very much. She was blown away by the transformation, so that made me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Phenomenal work on that little roadster Richy! Impeccable!

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks very much Mike, and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Nicely done Richy!
    Thanks kindly Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Stellar work Richy!

Interesting combo used there Richy, was there any difference in results during the 205 & Essence steps being that part of the car was SS or nothing to note? Was Essence used as a visual "gloss enhancer" & if so - after 205 was there a marked improvement Richy? Or was Essence used as a primer for Finest?

Results are phenomenal Richy, actually looks quite at home parked there too mate. Great post, thanks for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    Thanks kindly Aaryn! I like to use Essence prior to using a CP coating, although it's finicky for me sometimes. Where I've had the best results are when I use it after 205. It both amped up the glow (it was not a huge difference, but it was there) and also helps a bit with the bonding of CQ is what we are told. The SS paint benefited from it just like the B/C did. The look of 205 followed by Essence is incredible. I would definitely do it on my own car and when time permits on customer jobs, I'd do it too. That's often not the case however.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill walsh View Post
    great job Richy
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
    It's a beautiful thing that you did richy. Great job as always.

Strange that part of the car was base coat/clear coat and part was single stage paint.

I am also interested in your answer to Aaryn NZ's post.
    Thanks for commenting Mike, see above for that answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I remember that car here in the US as simply an Alfa "Spider"; was it only called Iniezione in Canada? Oh, wait, I just looked that up and apparently that means "injection" in Italian, so I guess it's fuel injected, and I guess it was a "Spider Veloce" here. Anyway, thanks for the memories--particularly those Pirelli P77 tires which I had a set of a hundred years ago--one of the first all-season tires, and had an asymmetric tread pattern: https://books.google.com/books?id=yS...%20P77&f=false

Great job as usual, Richy.
    Thanks! I immediately thought of it as a Spider too when I googled Iniezione. I laughed when I saw those tires->they look like snow tires!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast