autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Impala LTZ Corrected with Rupes UHS and Coated with Optimum Gloss Coat

5 month update.

Decided to give the car a decon wash. I messaged Dann Williams of optimum on how he does a decon wash. So he gave me some pointers. So thanks to him. For those that are interested in his decon wash process it is ferrex, wash, fine grade clay with optimum car wax.

First thing was spraying down the paint with optimum ferrex. I sprayed it onto the paint dry to not dilute the product. This was the first time I used ferrex as I have been using ironx for the longest time. Ferrex has been stated to also remove tar based on it being discussed on the optimum synergy podcast. No way for me to test that as the car had no tar.

Ferrex doing it's thing

While I was at it, I performed a little test on the hood. I applied ferrex on the passenger side of the hood and the remaining ironx I had on the drivers side.

Close up of the ferrex side

Close up of the ironx side. Don't mind the red needles. They are from the trees on the street. The wind has been blowing them around.

Both iron removers work. I felt ferrex performed a little better. Can't go wrong with either product.

I did not take too many photos but I also mixed 2 ounces of Meguiar's D103 APC+ into my car wash solution (both in the foam gun and bucket) of optimum car wash to aid in removing the heavier built up road film. The sheeting of gloss coat is doing very well. The glass has a base layer of opti-glass coating that has been maintained monthly with opti-glass clean & protect.

These are the products I used. Stuck with some synergy.

Final shots after drying the car with the DP car dryer and a final wipe with optimum instant detailer.

So within this 5 month time frame, the paint had developed contaminants. The car sits outside 24/7 so that is expected. It was not a lot as the car was not bleeding from using the iron removers. Ferrex performed well and removed a majority of the contaminants where I did not decide to clay. Paint felt smooth with my hand before I used the detail spray. Routine decon washes will work just as well until I decide to clay it. By the way gloss coat can be clayed with a fine grade mitt and optimum car wax.

I will mention that within the 5 months, the car has been washed with ONR weekly. I did use carpro reset about 2-3 weeks ago just to break up my rinseless wash routine. I did use opti-seal once as a drying aid but I have gone to just using the instant detailer as gloss coat doesn't need any toppers. So far I am happy with gloss coat up to the 5 month mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Impala LTZ Corrected with Rupes UHS and Coated with Optimum Gloss Coat

Awesome review GUZ! Thanks for sharing my friend.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345