autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Member Matt@flyingchipmunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A quick two thumbs up for the 21 MKII

With the glorious surprise warm day in the northeast I had the opportunity to finally break out the new 21 MKII. I've had the 75 mini in my arsenal for awhile so I'm not entirely new the Rupes family, but I do not have the 21 vs 21 MKII comparison.

Anywho, I'm a long time Flex 3401 user and while it will still be a staple in my arsenal as the forced rotation still has a home, the Rupes 21 MKII was a pleasure to use this weekend and will become my go-to DA. Such a well balanced machine and easy on the hands/wrists. I used it on 3 vehicles this weekend and felt far less fatigue than compared to using the Flex. (Audi SQ5, Ford F150 Supercab, Chevy Express cargo van) - to say the least the Rupes got put to use!

It's not a fair apples-to-apples comparison between the two machines abilities so I won't even go down that path. No scientific comparison going on here, just wanted to pass along my two thumbs up for a DA that was an absolute pleasure to use all day long, thanks Rupes!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A quick two thumbs up for the 21 MKII

Awesome! I'm also a long time user of the Flex 3401 and Flex PE8.

I recently ordered the 15 Mark II, 21 Mark II, and 75E. The 21 Mark II and 75E came a week or two ago. The 15 Mark II is still backordered.

I haven't used any of the Rupes yet but hoping to in the coming weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the kind remarks and happy to hear you are enjoying your 21 Mark II. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Any issues with stalling on vertical curvy panels and could you feel the extra torque that prevented the stalling?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apthai View Post
    Awesome! I'm also a long time user of the Flex 3401 and Flex PE8.

I recently ordered the 15 Mark II, 21 Mark II, and 75E. The 21 Mark II and 75E came a week or two ago. The 15 Mark II is still backordered.

I haven't used any of the Rupes yet but hoping to in the coming weeks.
    I think you'll quite enjoy adding that mini to your tool set, great correction in tighter spots in a DA form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    Any issues with stalling on vertical curvy panels and could you feel the extra torque that prevented the stalling?
    The only spot I ran into stalling issues was a tight curve on the lower door panels of the F150 where there was very little surface area of the pad meeting the panel. I brought the mini out to tackle those areas.

I only have the mini as a comparison point for the extra power preventing stalling. The best way I could describe it is I didn't even think about it most of the time. I've had to work the mini sometimes where pad stall was happening on previous vehicles, but with the MKII I was never actively having to think/fight against pad stall. It was only that one spot on the doors where I thought about it.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the 15 would have stalled on that spot too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    I wonder if the 15 would have stalled on that spot too?
    I haven't used a 15 so I'm not sure. I've attached a pic with a zoom-in showing the area. It's the tight smaller curve on the bottom of the door panel that is reflecting the chrome step. Part of it was access to area because of size of tool and the small amount of surface area to pad contact.

edit: and don't judge the wheels/rims, I hadn't worked on them yet in this picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A quick two thumbs up for the 21 MKII-f150-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

The more I use the 21 MKII the more I realize that troublesome spot on the 150 door panels was all about space and not being able to get the tool in there instead of the tools fault for pad stalling.

I've been working on another van and I've compared the mini to the MKII in tight spots and I have to say the MKII shines where the the mini will pad stall.

So now the only time I switch to the mini is where there are complex ripple like body lines. (2 tight curved lines next to each where it's just not possible to fit the MKII.) Oh and small strips of panels like door frames, above rear windows, etc.

Good stuff Rupes!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance you could you post a video of the mkii in action on those tough panels so all can see the pad rotate. I want to purchase one badly but after going through major issues on the first version I don't want to make the same mistake twice and video proof from an actual user would go a long way to alleviate those concerns. Thx much for these comments though. They are very helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast