autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RUPES Pad and Compound Recommendation Charts

Quote Originally Posted by E92M3_Mark View Post
    Todd, while the UHS system may perform well on soft paint systems, it's not expected to finish marr free like keramik/yellow Rupes pad, correct? Also, will all the Rupes polishes/pads perform good on 8mm RO? Or, are the abrasives strictly designed for long throw RO, as they may not break down correctly with an 8mm RO?

Thanks.
    It's not "excepted" to finish perfect on soft paints, but it certainly can.

The polishing compounds and pads were designed for large throw tools. I have never tested them on anything less than a 12mm throw.

That said... the pads, with the proprietary RUPES foams, are designed for orbital action. They are laterally stiff, so that a maximum amount of action is transferred to the paint with a minimal amount of pressure. They should work on any type of orbital including gear driven/forced rotation.

The compounds use very fine abrasives, so I would assume (again with out testing) that they will play nice on any type of orbital movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    First, thank you for the compliments on the information. I tried to make it as easy-to-understand as possible!

Second, RUPES recommends the following pad priming procedures.

Foam Pads (blue, green, uhs, yellow, white) - apply 6 pea-sized drops around the outer 1/3 of the pad. Set the machine to speed 3-4 and run for 30 seconds using firm pressure.

Foam Pads (yellow and white) - alternative - use 3 drops of product around the outer third and begin to polish as normal (this is the procedure I use, not the official.

Microfiber Pads - Draw a thin amount of product over the entire face of the pad. Try to cover as much of the pad as possible in a very thin coating.

Reload Foam pads with 2 pea-sized drops (6 and 7 inch pads).

Reload Microfiber pads with 4 pea-sized drops

Yes! UHS was originally designed using a very unique emulsion and blend of diminishing and non-diminishing abrasive grains. When combined with properties of the UHS foam pad, this allows for a very slow abrasive break down, giving the UHS the time necessary to polish scratch resistant and high-solid clear coats.

After development, we found that the system works well on all paint types. On very very hard clear coats, it can actually out cut the Zephir/blue foam and equal Zephir on a microfiber!
    Many thanks, Todd!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great summary Todd!
    Im working on some education material so this was great.

A question tho: Fresh paint and Soft paint. how come you "recommend" Zephir with blue or UHS foampad on this flawless un scratched soft paint? To me its one of the most aggressive setup and should not be needed for this application?

No Diamond finish on soft paint? but keramik works?

Could you tell me whats the science about this?

Best regards

//Ted, Rupes wholesaler in Sweden.

Post Thanks / Like

This is such excellent information and definitely worth pasting somewhere. As I am newer to this business, I am in search of more information on paints used by different manufacturers. You reference OEM Standard, High Solid, Soft, etc.. I would like to compile some basic categorical information on paint systems used, but I also do not wish to re-invent the wheel.

Can you offer some advice that the Rupes team may be able to offer to help support my efforts? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Megabusa View Post
    Great summary Todd!
    Im working on some education material so this was great.

A question tho: Fresh paint and Soft paint. how come you "recommend" Zephir with blue or UHS foampad on this flawless un scratched soft paint? To me its one of the most aggressive setup and should not be needed for this application?

No Diamond finish on soft paint? but keramik works?

Could you tell me whats the science about this?

Best regards

//Ted, Rupes wholesaler in Sweden.
    The reason to use an aggressive set up on fresh paint is because it is often sanded and these scratches need to be resolved without leaving a texture behind. It is often most effective to quickly cut the paint and level it, then finish with a finer polish.

The purpose of these charts is to provide highly consistent solutions to our customers based on our experience as well as the experience of detailers and testers. In some (rare) situations the new diamond has been difficult to wipe off certain fresh and some very soft paints. This is not a common problem, nor is it one that I have experienced, but we trust the feedback of the detailers that work closely with.

Also the Keramik / yellow pad combination leaves such an incredible gloss on these type of finishes that we feel very comfortable with this constant solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    This is such excellent information and definitely worth pasting somewhere. As I am newer to this business, I am in search of more information on paints used by different manufacturers. You reference OEM Standard, High Solid, Soft, etc.. I would like to compile some basic categorical information on paint systems used, but I also do not wish to re-invent the wheel.

Can you offer some advice that the Rupes team may be able to offer to help support my efforts? Thanks.
    Tony, I am glad you find the information helpful. I am not entirely sure what you are asking for however? A list of paint types by manufacturer? If so, this is quite impossible as the paint can change by color...

Let's examine BMW. The solid colors such as Jet Black use a clear coat that tends to be very soft and very scratch sensitive. However, the flake colors such as Sapphire Black tend to have much harder clear coats.

Now consider that BMW manufacturers vehicles all over the world, and in each case, the paint system can vary. In some cases, the same model is manufactured in two different locations or in two different countries - each with vasty different paint (even it it is the same color!). This discounts running changes that many manufacturers will implement through out the model year; one of which could be a different paint system all together.

Unfortunately, it is quite impossible to have a list of paint types which would could expect to find on certain vehicles. To be accurate, it would quite literally have to have the year, color, manufacturing facility, and production number of every single car ever made...

Of course, this would only be accurate for a few years, as the way the vehicle is cared for (chemical exposure, waxes used, solvents exposure, UV radiation, storage considerations) will all affect who the clear coat/ paint reacts over time.

Your best bet is always do a test spot and see how your compound / pad works on a particular paint.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Warning.... thread drift ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Todd, can you answer another question.

Is the pizza and pasta really that good in Italy? I mean, is it better than pizza in NYC or pasta at a really good Italian restaurant here?

Oh my....

I'd say that any 'true' Italian pizza lover would think that what we have here, most especially "deep dish" is sacrilegious.

We have a place here in Atlanta, (well two of them actually) that specialize in TRUE Neapolitan Pizza, and while they are nowhere NEAR the local pizza joints, and SURELY not along the lines of Malanti or Giordano (both of which I've had) they are excellent pizzas indeed.

The guy in the story linked below has actually developed a whole half a city block into a "Little Italy" and has several restaurants, including a gelato bar! It's a bit pricy, but I've always eaten everything they'll throw at me. Guess something has to pay for three 10,000Lb wood fired pizza ovens!

Antico

Local news piece on the owner.

Antico owner hopes to create Atlanta's own Little Italy

Il Pizzaiolo / Antico Pizza Napoletana, Atlanta, GA - Pizza Today

My daughter and son-in-law love the place. So much so that the other one in Atlanta is within walking distance of their place and they'll fight traffic to go to Antico. It became a fixture for them though while in college, especially with her hubby going to Tech.

I actually like Varuni Napoli just as much, if not more! That guy used to work at Antico but now has gone as far as importing ALL of his food sources direct from local suppliers in the Naples area, from tomatoes to flour, and it shows.

Varuni

Good article on him.
    Former Antico pizza-maker to open Varuni-Napoli in early April - Atlanta Magazine

Thing is... unless you know where you're looking....... you will NEVER find the place!

OK.... you may now return to your regularly scheduled forum programing.

Post Thanks / Like

Admins: this must be a sticky thread.

Thank you for your time and expertise, Todd!

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, would it be possible to put this all in one pdf that can be printed?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Todd, would it be possible to put this all in one pdf that can be printed?
    I was able to just copy images and create a single letter size sheet to print.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard some experienced marring with the white Rupes pad. Sure enough, on this chart, it's not listed as a recommendation on soft paint. What is it about the white pad that may cause marring?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast