autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes 21 polisher, ISSUE!!!!!!!!?????????

I have the Rupes 15 polisher and I also noticed some black flecks when I first used it. It cleared up rather quickly and has been fine since. I would say by about halfway through the first car it stopped. I did not do the KB washer modification that many here recommend. I found that using good technique and absorbing the learning curve on the Rupes machine was all that was needed. So far I don't feel it is necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    The same thing happened to me the first time I used my Rupes 21. I also thought it was just some sort of odd break in routine. Come to find out the rubber shroud was actually catching on the backing plate and bending completely over and snapping flat with every rotation. This was causing chunks of rubber to fly off the shroud as the machine was in use.

In order to fix this problem I placed 2x 8mm washers between the backing plate and the spindle. This gave the plate enough clearance so it was no longer contacting the rubber shroud. The machine also works better with the washer mod installed.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I polished out a GTI this past weekend and who whole time while doing the car I had that issue. seems to clear up a little bit towards the end of the job. but still saw the black specs of rubber....

Still unsure what I want to do about it. maybe do another 1 or 2 cars.... if still have the issue may have to do the mod... Wish rubes would have corrected this when in the R and D phase.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Rupes 21 polisher, ISSUE!!!!!!!!?????????

I bought a Rupes 21 just a few days ago and so far after 8 cars I am still getting black specs which I have found to be rubber from the shroud and not "grease" as someone thought above. With a free spin on a metal pan with a junk pad due to the pad collecting the black flakes on a 2015 Escalade I was able to watch and see the rubber shroud hit and slowly be torn away. I have gone through 4 pads and set the rupes aside till I fix it and picked up my flex to do the rest of my work. Love the 21mm throw of rupes but its not worth messing up a flawless finish with a machine set so high!
    I have other pics of the pad turning black from the rubber dust but it wont upload for some reason from phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rupes 21 polisher, ISSUE!!!!!!!!?????????-20150129_104733-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to take a picture of mine. The rubber shroud was literally getting torn apart from being bent into/under the backing plate with each rotation. After installing the washer mod I've used it daily and have had no issues.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

The washer mod has been very very good 2 me.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing happen to me. This has also happened to several local detailers I know. It eventually went away after polishing test panels with it.

I don't run the machine with washers btw.

You can also razor blade the shroud for clearance or just space it out with the washer....or sell the poor machine to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever since Kevin Brown introduced the washer mod there has been a split in opinions. From reading the comments from the factory reps and meeting the techs at SEMA for me it came down to personal preference. Rupes will tell you all over the world the 21 is used without a washer mod. Kevin goes into great detail explaining exactly his ideas behind his " mod ". I have tried it both ways multiple times and have stuck with using the washer which IMO fits my style of correcting paint. So to answer those that think Rupes didn't do there homework , they have. I believe the 21 to be a quality machine. I just happen to like it with the " mod " . I own three Rupes machines and soon will pull the trigger on my fourth.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue with my Rupes 15. I only have a single 8 mm washer installed.

I was trying to check the alignment of the washer and possibly add one more but I managed to strip the head with my cheap HF Allen socket!

So I'm gonna live with it for now or attempt to file the shroud down a hair if it doesn't break in after a few more hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running my Rupes 21 with the washer mod for 27 months now and never had a single issue. I did try polishing a few panels when I first got the tool without the washer, and the tool worked fine but the pad didn't spin freely, which is an issue for me when blowing out pads. The addition of the washer gives more correction power since it's not being slowed by the shroud and I have not looked back once since adding the washer. I really don't know why people make such a big deal about adding a washer either??? It takes 30 second and simply opens the gap between the plate and the shroud....
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast