autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New iBrid owner frustrated....what am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Short neck is 560.00
    Whoa! I didn't know it was way more than a 21MKll fully loaded + bag included Wow!New iBrid owner frustrated....what am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had product sling in DA mode but it's definitely an issue in rotary mode. Reducing product amount will help as well as spreading it out before turning it on. IMO it's the lack of a variable speed trigger and higher RPM that makes it more prone to sling product. On my Flex PE14 with the same pads I have zero issue with sling as I can feather the speed up slowly with the trigger. With the nano you have the trigger that's simply on or off, and when it's on, it's at a higher RPM then my Flex PE14 would be.

That being said it's a great tool for tight areas and overall I'm happy with it's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the main benefits.

Small size = great access and manuverability.

Battery power means no tether so can move about freely.

First time I used it on underside of trunk lid.

Primed blue pad like I normally would do and smeared around area.

Turned on in rotary mode and coated my neighbours rear window with sling (lol).

The trunk lid on the other hand polished up great (it had never been touched in 15 years-severe water spots).

There is no way I could have done this any other way.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

The trunk lid on the other hand polished up great (it had never been touched in 15 years-severe water spots).

There is no way I could have done this any other way.
    How small of a trunk was it?
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

A few things to note, for what it's worth. A 7-inch pad has a surface area of (approx) 38.5 inches squared. A 1.2-inch pad has a surface area of 1.1 inches squared. In other words a 7-inch pad has 38 times, or 3800% larger.

This has a drastic effect when it comes to the amount of force the pad's can realistically be expected to handle... Force x unit area = pressure.

The biggest thing in getting the proper performance from the nano is random orbital mode is near-zero pressure. I am amazed at how many times I hand the polisher to somebody and they bare down on it... If the pad is (more than ever-so-slightly) compressed, you are adding too much pressure to the pad. The 2-inch pad has a surface area of 3.14 inches squared, and can - in theory - hand 3x's as much downward force, although it is still very very little compared to 7-inch pad.

So the first thing I would recommend is reducing pressure (likely).

The center or polishing area of the pad has to be flat to the surface. Relax your trigger hand and set the tool flat to the surface and use. People tend to over grip a DA and thus tilt the pad the further they move it away from their body.

As for sling, I would recommend following our priming procedure. Run at speed 3 using medium (relative, it is still very light) pressure in a small spot for 30-40 seconds using about half of 1 pea-sized drop. For reload use speed 4-5 and about 3/4's of a pea-sized drop max (maybe less).

We recommend using a polishing area size of an area about 6x the size of the pad (ish). This gives relatively the same results per speed setting, per tool, per pad size, per pad type per pad compound time. As the tool shrinks, so, of course- does the working area to keep results consistent. The Mark II tools will produce similar results using speed settings about 2 less than the other tools.

I hope this helps and makes you happy with your new polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    A few things to note, for what it's worth. A 7-inch pad has a surface area of (approx) 38.5 inches squared. A 1.2-inch pad has a surface area of 1.1 inches squared. In other words a 7-inch pad has 38 times, or 3800% larger.

This has a drastic effect when it comes to the amount of force the pad's can realistically be expected to handle... Force x unit area = pressure.

The biggest thing in getting the proper performance from the nano is random orbital mode is near-zero pressure. I am amazed at how many times I hand the polisher to somebody and they bare down on it... If the pad is (more than ever-so-slightly) compressed, you are adding too much pressure to the pad. The 2-inch pad has a surface area of 3.14 inches squared, and can - in theory - hand 3x's as much downward force, although it is still very very little compared to 7-inch pad.

The center or polishing area of the pad has to be flat to the surface. Relax your trigger hand and set the tool flat to the surface and use. People tend to over grip a DA and thus tilt the pad the further they move it away from their body.

As for sling, I would recommend following our priming procedure. Run at speed 3 using medium (relative, it is still very light) pressure in a small spot for 30-40 seconds using about half of 1 pea-sized drop. For reload use speed 4-5 and about 3/4's of a pea-sized drop max (maybe less).

We recommend using a polishing area size of an area about 6x the size of the pad (ish). This gives relatively the same results per speed setting, per tool, per pad size, per pad type per pad compound time. As the tool shrinks, so, of course- does the working area to keep results consistent. The Mark II tools will produce similar results using speed settings about 2 less than the other tools.

Thank you Todd! Totally makes sense. I had a feeling it was user error and no doubt use of the Flex is influencing my technique.

My next detail is in my garage awaiting a test come Saturday. I'll keep you posted.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    How small of a trunk was it?
    It was the inside of the trunk side-not the outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post

Hi Todd,

I use the 1" rotary tool and no matter what get sling with the Nano 1" blue pads and blue polish.

We are not talking "pea size" drops, I'm talking 3 "smudges".

I notice not so much with the yellow pads and polish.

Is this because different type of foam?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the Lake Country Hybrid 1" and 2" pads to try on my Ibrid, will post follow up when they arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be producing a video in the next few days. I ran the pads today for the first time this afternoon. When I was at 3M for the previous 35 years and calling on paint departments throughout the US and Oh Canada we had a slightly different approach to buffing and polishing. I put my knowledge to the test and hope that you find the information helpful. I had no sling , not a bit. I did something that I have not seen covered in videos or text and it worked like a charm. Before I photograph or shoot a video I am going conduct another test. Then another. It will be worth the wait.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast