autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not so happy with Mark2 upgrade

Just baffles me why the need for mark2 upgrade if we are being advocated by the manufacturer it's 3-4 is equivalent to Legacy 5-6 and to be more in 3-4 range. I have used original Rupes15 at speeds 5-6 without really running into heat issues. I don't do my details in controlled temperatures. Since owning the mark2 and operating at speed 4-4.5, the pads have started to get super hot (making the experience unpleasant and impacting work time). Not a very efficient 30% increase in power of the machine if al the time one has to worry for heat and pads giving up (heat was supposed to be the least of concerns when using DAs). When on significant curves (inward panels on door or curves on a hood like Benz E200), speed 3,4 still stall (my technique with Rupes is fine) and in such moments there is a need to go speed 5 to not get bogging and the heat levels begin to go off charts. Even at speed 4 and trying to do the sections one after another , you begin to run into pad getting super hot. Perhaps the head needed more vents or the BP needed a further redesign to help dissipate heat better. Pads in question are GG MF/White pads, carpro MF pads, Meg MF and a few other foam ones (without-centerhole pads have even more hard time with heat). I have used the 900w DAs too and they even don't generate as much heats to the pad on speeds 5,6. The torque and pad rotation is definitely better but Just hasn't been a smooth upgrade transition for me to mark 2 I am afraid and the extra 30% has come with extra 30% heat as well (glad Rupes didn't go the 900w route or it would've been a heat gun going by the numbers) . Sorry, it may sound like a rant to something you love and trust me I have had a strong love relationship with my legacy machine. This upgrade literally is more HOT though.

PS* I had a chat with Kevin Brown and he didn't deny on the extra heat part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not so happy with Mark2 upgrade

Seems like most complaints on the MKII's are around the 15 model, could the longer throw of the 21 be assisting in keeping pads cooler as its moving further away from rotation centre?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Seems like most compaints on the MKII's are around the 15 model, could the longer throw of the 21 be assisting in keeping pads cooler as its moving further away from rotation centre?
    Per Rupes, 15 is the best selling so that's why possibly

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Rupes needs a new line of pads to suit the power of the new machines.

Post Thanks / Like

A waffle pad by optimum creates much less heat.

How is it that the rupes mk2's have heat issues but the forced rotation 3401's dont seem to have an issue as much?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm reading this wrong - but it seems like the OP tried every pad except the ones actually designed for the machine - Rupes pads?

I have a MK II (and had a MK 1) and neither gets noticeably even warm - no less hot.

When a machine gets "hot" - most of the heat is generated from the pad up - not machine down. So the heat is coming up from the surface, buffing liquid, pad - and the friction between the 3.

Another thing that can add to this is the environment. If it's 100° in the room your buffing in - or you are buffing black paint in direct sun - this can add to the heat issue. Other factors that can contribute are too much downward force (Rupes needs little to none) or too much polish being used.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was encountering heat issues, the counterweight and the actual mounting point (near the bearings) is hot for me.... Not just the BP.

I'm talking with regards to the Mk I or the 3401.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I had the 21 and never experienced heat problems even working in the heat. I wonder if compounds can make a difference. Some aren't so sun friendly or heat friendly and perhaps can create more friction. I did use my rupes as a system, but I also used other various pads and never had issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    A waffle pad by optimum creates much less heat.

How is it that the rupes mk2's have heat issues but the forced rotation 3401's dont seem to have an issue as much?
    The metal housing heated up a lot on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so happy with Mark2 upgrade

Try the Lake Country HD Orbital Foam Pads. They're thicker than the Griots pads, which will help a bit when it comes to stalling around corners. LC also claims they run 10% cooler than other pads on the market. I can't guarantee they'll fully solve your problem, but I can tell you that I've been using them with my G21 and I've never felt them get hot or even slightly warm so far.

http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country...ital-pads.html

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast