autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not so happy with Mark2 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by postaltwo View Post
    When I'm ready to step up to rupes I'm thinking an es unit will be the better choice . Imo 100 bucks more for a unit that can only be run at half speed is pointless imo.
    Would be such a mistake.

The Mk 2 is significantly more powerful than the original machine. You just need to use the machine correctly - with the correct products and pads. You need to use the correct technique (very little downward pressure) with the correct supplied backing plate - and the machine will correct paint beautifully with no heat.

The MkII can spin through curves the original machine couldn't. You simply bump up the speed, as Dylan mentioned.

It's so funny to me. People complained the legacy machines weren't powerful enough. So Rupes ups the power - and people now say the tool is too powerful.

If your compelled to cobble together your own unique polishing system of various pads and various polishes; along with sticking washers behind the backing plate - maybe just buy a different machine.

Rupes made it so simple - but a lot of people like making it more complicated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    The point isn't that it can ONLY be run at half speed, but that it gives you a wider range of speeds to choose from. If you are running a polisher wide open and need more power what do you do? Its not like the dial on any of these goes to 7.

You do the general polishing in the mid range, then increase the speed when you encounter curves or bodylines that would otherwise slow/stop pad rotation. Just like your car - you don't drive everywhere with the gas pedal to the floor do you? You run somewhere less than 100% throttle to drive around, but if you need to get to highway speed, pass a slow moving vehicle, etc you push the accelerator to the floor.

That being said, if the ES has enough power for you then go with it - we still sell TONS of the ES model for those looking to save the $100 and don't find that they need the extra power.
    I think you are missing the point entirelly here.

The original poster mentioned that running at lower speed like 3 did not allow the tool to work on curved surfaces, and that despite the fact it has 30% more power, it would still stall unless you increased the speed.

As for using in at speed 3 all the time. If you have to do that you are reducing the correction ability and thus will take MORE time to complete the task. If I can use a Mark 1 at speed 4.5 but have to use a Mark II at speed 3, it's actually a LESS effective tool overall. So it's not an upgrade, quite the contrary.

I agree with you on the hook and loop interface, incompatible pads will have issues, I believe that is what is happening with the B&S pads on the Rupes 21. There is no way that the friction on a polishing pad is causing enough heat to have them fly away from the backing plate. So maybe Rupes should publish a list of compatible pads. I know they would prefer we buy their pads, but most of us already have hundreds of dollars invested in douzens of pads so it would be nice to know which ones we can use safely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

The original poster mentioned that running at lower speed like 3 did not allow the tool to work on curved surfaces, and that despite the fact it has 30% more power, it would still stall unless you increased the speed.

As for using in at speed 3 all the time. If you have to do that you are reducing the correction ability and thus will take MORE time to complete the task. If I can use a Mark 1 at speed 4.5 but have to use a Mark II at speed 3, it's actually a LESS effective tool overall. So it's not an upgrade, quite the contrary.

I agree with you on the hook and loop interface, incompatible pads will have issues, I believe that is what is happening with the B&S pads on the Rupes 21. There is no way that the friction on a polishing pad is causing enough heat to have them fly away from the backing plate. So maybe Rupes should publish a list of compatible pads. I know they would prefer we buy their pads, but most of us already have hundreds of dollars invested in douzens of pads so it would be nice to know which ones we can use safely.
    Or maybe people should use the "Rupes Sytem" as it was designed to be used around their products.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Would be such a mistake.

The Mk 2 is significantly more powerful than the original machine. You just need to use the machine correctly - with the correct products and pads. You need to use the correct technique (very little downward pressure) with the correct supplied backing plate - and the machine will correct paint beautifully with no heat.

The MkII can spin through curves the original machine couldn't. You simply bump up the speed, as Dylan mentioned.

It's so funny to me. People complained the legacy machines weren't powerful enough. So Rupes ups the power - and people now say the tool is too powerful.

If your compelled to cobble together your own unique polishing system of various pads and various polishes; along with sticking washers behind the backing plate - maybe just buy a different machine.

Rupes made it so simple - but a lot of people like making it more complicated.
    Darn right! Thanks for posting that. Use it as it was designed to be used as a system or quit the whining.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Or maybe people should use the "Rupes Sytem" as it was designed to be used around their products.
    Probably should, but that's an unrealistic idea.

I remember Todd saying on Jimbo's podcast that it makes it very difficult to troubleshoot when assessing issues using other companies pads and products.

Post Thanks / Like

As for using in at speed 3 all the time. If you have to do that you are reducing the correction ability and thus will take MORE time to complete the task. If I can use a Mark 1 at speed 4.5 but have to use a Mark II at speed 3, it's actually a LESS effective tool overall.
    My thoughts exactly

Darn right! Thanks for posting that. Use it as it was designed to be used as a system or quit the whining.
    Your right I should start looking at other large throw da polishers . I like using a system but I don't like being forced into a system .the other large throw polishers are not sensitive like this. I was dead set on the rupes ,partly because the were the innovators and deserve the cash for their hard work .I was even open to using their system just don't like being forced to use it exclusively . I may still by a legacy tool ,I never heard of these problems till the mark 2 came out .

Post Thanks / Like

So you think everyone should throw away all their pads and products and simply buy Rupes ones. Ok... that is one way to look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd actually challenge that statement... the Mark II at setting 3 features more torque than the ES tools did at setting 6. They are exceedingly hard to stall, even at lower speeds, but even if they did its as simple as moving the dial up a notch or 2 with your thumb. Don't even need to stop polishing to do it.

Here again you're making an assumption of correcting power based only on speed settings. A Mark II tool at setting 3 or 4 will correct as fast, if not faster than the previous generation. It is very much an upgrade - it performs comparably to the previous tool at a lower speed setting, opening up the possibility for limited use of the tool at full speed in situations that dictate it. Unlike the previous generation when a pad stalled you had no way to compensate other than technique - like I said earlier "the dial doesn't go to 7".

Have you used both the ES and Mark II tools yet or are you assuming some of the things about speeds as they relate to numbers on the dial?

I agree with you on the hook and loop interface, incompatible pads will have issues, I believe that is what is happening with the B&S pads on the Rupes 21. There is no way that the friction on a polishing pad is causing enough heat to have them fly away from the backing plate. So maybe Rupes should publish a list of compatible pads. I know they would prefer we buy their pads, but most of us already have hundreds of dollars invested in dozens of pads so it would be nice to know which ones we can use safely.
    Chances are you're never going to see us publish a list validating other peoples pads... the responsibility to validate compatibility would fall to the pad manufactures. We make our own pads and know them to be compatible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Good... so I'm not the only one thinking this

Not so happy with Mark2 upgrade-58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

So you think everyone should throw away all their pads and products and simply buy Rupes ones. Ok... that is one way to look at it.
    No that's not what I think. I have three Rupes tools and have never used their polishes. But I don't complain about the results with this and and that product combo doing this or that. I have experimented on my own and lived with the results. if I blew out a pad here or there that's my problem.

I also own a GG21 and have their pads and products and I've used many other combinations with this machine too. I've had excellent results too, but I've also had some issues. Again, I didn't come on the forum and complain about why the Boss system has issues with other pads or products.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast